Windows installer can ot be accessed

Kingfisher 12:13 05 Feb 09

Hello everyone,
My friend has a medion desktop with intel 4 processor 1.2 gig ram windows xp home,with radeon 9000 series video card he is getting the following error message. ati video bios client ati 2evxx.exe application error followed by the instruction at 0x7c91 0f 29 referenced memory 0x00000000 the memory could not be read. the problem is I cannot access any sites where the Windows installer is required I get error 1719 windows installer can not be accessed,
All windows updates report failed when trying to download them, he says he tried sp3 download but that failed close to the end, have tried system restore, ccleaner, winaso etc found lots of errors but still cannot access installer, when trying to access safe mode Error comes up vga mode not supported,have tried googling for windows installer failures but no joy. he also has Norton 2007 internet security suite on his pc, any ideas on how to get the installer to work, he only has a Medion restore disk so cant do a windows repair, apologies for long winded thread many thanks

john bunyan 12:48 05 Feb 09

I had a less severe but similar problem following the recent .NET Framework 3.5 update. The Add/ remove feature in the Control panel did not work . Luckily I had an Acronis True Image 11 clone of the drive from 2 weeks back, and used that. Hope you solve your problem.

gazzaho 15:32 05 Feb 09

I've no idea if this will help but check that the system has "Full Control" of the Windows Installer folder.

The installer folder is a hidden folder so show hidden files and folders first and then right click the installer folder select the security tab click on SYSYEM in the top box and make sure full control is ticked in the lower box.

Kingfisher 17:23 06 Feb 09

Thankyou for all your responses, my friend has now purchased a new pc, but will keep these postings for future reference

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced