Windows Installer

Chas49 20:10 16 Apr 08

I have an HP slimline computer with Vista Home Edition operating system. I have just tried to uninstall Adobe 8 reader and find that a box comes up on screen stating that "The Windows installer service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed etc" - Looking this Windows Installer up on the web I found that Vista is not mentioned in connection with this program. I have no idea why it is and cannot remember downloading it - though it appear that I must have done so! Other programs on the list can be removed - but not Adobe and its like.

Anyone have ideas on how to remedy this?

rawprawn 20:17 16 Apr 08

Try Re installing Acrobat Reader, then uninstall. If that doesn't work get Windows Install Cleanup
click here and see if Adobe is shown.
Be careful how you use it

Chas49 21:04 16 Apr 08

Rawprawn: First of all, thanks for your reply. I downloaded another copy of Adobe 8 but, when I tried to install it the box came up again with the same message. Same with the program from the link ! Tried to download Windows Installer again - this time a box came up saying that there was not enough storage for a 2.5mb program - no, only 287 gigs worth!

Chas49 22:17 16 Apr 08

Problem solved. Went into 'msconfig/services' and found the checkbox alongside "Windows Installer" was unchecked. Ticked it, restarted the computer, went in to 'Control Panel, Uninstall a Program' and, this time, the Windows Installer worked and got rid of Adobe reader.

Clearly, at some time in the past, I must have unticked that box and, as it is not required for uninstalls then I had not seen the problem earlier.

rawprawn 07:47 17 Apr 08

Glad you solved the problem, thank you for the feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…