Is Windows Installer 3.1 Needed.

birdface 11:06 12 Jul 07

Hi.Going through my add remove I noticed the Windows Installer 3.1 was no longer there,I tried search but could not find it,I can only assume that I must have deleted it somehow,Is it needed on computer,And should I install it again.

crosstrainer 11:10 12 Jul 07

Install it from the Windows update site...open your browser, go to tools>windows update, if it has been uninstalled, then the site will detect this and it will be added to the list of downloads.

birdface 11:25 12 Jul 07

No,It is not getting installed from Microsoft up-dates.I can install it from elsewhere,But I was just wondering if it was essential to be installed.

crosstrainer 11:33 12 Jul 07

It is an important update.

afish 11:41 12 Jul 07

I go along with crosstrainer.Posting the following save the old fingers typing ;) for your information.From...
click here

The Microsoft Windows Installer is an 'application installation and configuration service'. This means that it is used for installing programs on your computer. Some software requires this latest download before you can install it. In effect, this becomes a two step process. First you download the Windows Installer and run it (restart your computer). Then run your software's installation program (yes, there is some degree of Microsoft kookiness that requires you to install an installation program before you can install the program you actually want).

According to Microsoft, this is the function of the package: 'It manages the installation and removal of applications by applying a set of centrally defined setup rules during the installation process. These setup rules define the installation and configuration of the installed application. In addition, you use this service to modify, repair, or remove an existing application.'

birdface 12:28 12 Jul 07

Hi.Tried installing it from your click here.But still cannot find it In Add Remove, Have they changed the name of it to Clean-Up by any chance,Just nothing showing for Windows Installer 3.1 .Any idea's. Also tried installing it from Microsoft with the same result.

birdface 12:29 12 Jul 07

Hi.Tried installing it from your click here.But still cannot find it In Add Remove, Have they changed the name of it to Clean-Up by any chance,Just nothing showing for Windows Installer 3.1 .Any idea's. Also tried installing it from Microsoft with the same result.

birdface 12:31 12 Jul 07

birdface 12:34 12 Jul 07

Sorry about all the postings ,I was having trouble connecting with PCA.Kept getting timed out.

afish 13:47 12 Jul 07

To check if installed the Microsoft Windows Installer (what version etc.) go to search type in msiexec.exe

right hand click on result shown, click on properties then on the Version tab( should be an installer of some discription) Will tell you what is installed.

Normaly/should be in the C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder.

version 3.1.4000.1823 will be ok.

birdface 17:17 12 Jul 07

Hi. Ok for that,3.1.4000.1823 is on mine.Any idea why it does not show up in Add Remove anymore.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac