Windows installer 3.1 ( KB 893803)

Meshuga 22:17 02 Jan 06

Every time I boot up, after the icons have appeared on the desktop I get a message box telling me that windows installer is installing. Then it just sits there. I have found that this is in add and remove in control panel with the updates. Does anyone know what this is please and how to stop it appearing. There is no sign of it that I can recognise in startup.

octal 22:32 02 Jan 06

This is what Microsoft have to say about it click here

octal 22:37 02 Jan 06

I think you might have to upgrade the Windows installer click here

Meshuga 22:52 02 Jan 06

Thanks octal. Do you know just what is its purpose and do I need it. If not, I will remove it.

octal 07:16 03 Jan 06

I've no idea, sorry, I don't run Windows.

But this will bump it to the top of the list for you, good luck.

Meshuga 08:22 03 Jan 06

Ok octal, thank you for your help so far.

rawprawn 10:14 03 Jan 06

click here I think it is integral to the system and you do need it. I am not sure but I think it oversees any downloads that you install, or any installation. Perhaps someone with more knowledge about it can explain better than I.

rawprawn 10:15 03 Jan 06

Have you tried a system file scan? (sfc /scannow)

Stuartli 10:23 03 Jan 06

Windows Installer oversees the installation, upgrading and removal of software on your system; it also looks after the resilience of files and allows rollbacks to aid disaster recovery.

Meshuga 17:22 03 Jan 06

Thanks for your suggestion rawprawn , tried but got nowhere, thanks also to Stuartli for your info. An engineer is coming to look at another pc so will get him to deal with it. Will tick it now.

rawprawn 17:46 03 Jan 06

Sorry it didn't work for you. Have a happy New Year and many more.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now