Windows Installer

Southernboy 13:51 08 Oct 03

I have Microsoft Works installed which came with my new PC, but I have never used it as I have another Office Suite.

A few days ago, when switching on the PC, it automatically launched Windows Installer and then stated it was about to configure "Word 2002", and told me that it needed the CD to be inserted.

Given that I have never used Word on this PC, can anything tell me why this has happened? It now does this every time the PC is started uo.

Jester2K II 14:22 08 Oct 03

Word is part of Works.

Some parts of Works autorun with the PC on boot up so this maybe triggering it..

click here;[LN];q265194

Southernboy 15:56 10 Oct 03

the link brings up THE REQUESTED WEB PAGE IS NOT AVAILABLE.

To be honest, the logic of this escapes me. The PC has worked perfectly for 4 months since purchase new, and this suddenly happens without any action on my part. I have never used Word 2002 (which I know is part of MS Works), so why would it suddenly throw up this message? I could understand it if it had always done this, of if I had attempted to use Word, but neither is the case. So what could have happened to change things?

Southernboy 16:34 10 Oct 03

Got so fed up with this message that I put Disc 1 of MS works (the one with Word 2002) into the CD ROM drive and clicked OK. I then removed the disc and restarted the PC and the message did not reappear. Problem (if not the mystery) solved, I thought.

OK, but then, I had an Email with an attachment to download. Instead of downloading to Wordpad as usual, it now downloaded the MS Word!!

I am even more confused!!

Jester2K II 16:43 10 Oct 03

I think you've just installed Word!

The link didn't work because the end got chopped off.

Click the Click Here and when you get the page not found copy and paste the end bit on the address bar. Click Go and it'll take you to the page.

Southernboy 15:29 11 Oct 03

how can I have just installed Word, when I installed MS Works (all five discs) the day I received the PC? In any event, by inserting the disc and clicking OK, the message disappeared within seconds - certainly not enough time for any installation. Word has been on the PC for months and didn't raise its ugly head until a few days ago.

Similarly, any download of an attachment always displayed on Wordpad until now.

Ok, things may have resolved themselves (I hope so, anyway) but I would like to know what happened. I like to understand the reason for things.

Southernboy 15:32 11 Oct 03

didn't work.

Never mind.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…