Windows installation folders.....

kevvyb 23:43 11 Dec 03

..the vendor of my Trojan scanner program suggests installing windows in a folder other than C:\Windows to provide added security from threats that 'look in' the standard places.

I like the idea but will it stop other things working? I am thinking about Windows Update for example.

BarryKeith 00:31 12 Dec 03

You should be OK doing that, but remember that all those extra programs you have installed will not know where to find windows and will have to be reinstalled.

BarryKeith 00:32 12 Dec 03

You should be OK doing that, but remember that all those extra programs you have installed will not know where to find windows and will have to be reinstalled.

plsndrs3 00:42 12 Dec 03

I have heard this mentioned before. Part of the issue here is that some virii [?] target Windows & look for a folder as such, some target the registry [and you CANNOT alter that], others target specific programs such as Internet Explorer - located at C:Programs\Internet Explorer. Changing the name of the Winows folder will help, but not in every case. Personally, I prefer the logic of a good antivirus package that is up to date and sensible actions whilst on the Internet [don't open dodgy sites, dont open dodgy emails, etc].

Paul

powerless 00:43 12 Dec 03

I have an XP installation on D:\WINDOWS

no probs.

plsndrs3 01:00 12 Dec 03

Thought the recommendation from the Trojan scanner people was to install to whichever drive, but to a folder caller Windoues, for example. The 'logic' goes that., if attacked, there is no obvious file called Windows to target & the nasty bug goes away to sulk?

Paul

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…