windows ,how to in put new serial numbers

w.oody 10:01 06 Dec 05

Appaently I have beenrunning an Illegal copy of windows xp pro .I got a legal copy off a friend that was not used, and tried to install it .All that happened is I got another copy of windows on the pc and it will not do anything. I have to select the old copy to run the pc . What i want to do is delete the new copy, and somehow put in the legal key i have got so i can down load all the updates and idon't know how to do either

rawprawn 10:14 06 Dec 05

You need to do a clean install (Format your HD)
click here this is a step by step guide which should help. Print it out before you start

rawprawn 10:15 06 Dec 05

You need to do a clean install (Format your HD)
click here this is a step by step guide which should help. Print it out before you start

Chegs ®™ 12:42 06 Dec 05

TO CHANGE THE KEY YOURSELF
Click Start > Run > and type in Regedit Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\wpaevents In the right pane, right-click OOBETimer, and then click Modify Change at least one digit of this value to deactivate Windows Click OK and close regedit Click Start > Run and type in: "%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a" Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to activate Windows, and then click Next.DO NOT CALL THEM. Click Change Product Key (at the bottom). Enter your valid Product Key. Press Update and close the window. If you are returned to the previous window, click Remind me later Restart your computer Verify the change
After the workstation restarts, click Start > Run Type in: "%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a" without the quotes. Make sure the dialog box says 'your copy of windows is already activated'

To dispose of the other XP,right-click My Computer/Properties/Advanced/Start up & Recovery/Settings/Edit and the boot.ini opens in Notepad,remove the XP you dont want,click "File/Save (not save as...)" and exit.

You should then only have your legit version and be able to update freely from MS sites.

w.oody 17:27 06 Dec 05

Hey Chegs, going to try it now ,will let you know how I get on

PaulB2005 17:33 06 Dec 05

click here This might be easier. Look at the Options menu.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…