Windows help with viruses

weejohn28 19:26 PM 14 May 11

Today I received a telephone call from a person puporting to be calling on behalf of, to use his wording, Windows. He then told me that Windows had found that I had a Virus on my computer and that he would talk me through,whilst I was on my computer, to show me how to eradicate the virus. The person sounded as if he was of Indian extraction but when asked gave me the following telephone number 02032865123. Has anyone ever had this experience, is this on the up and up, or is it just a scam to get into my computer? Love to hear your comments. Weejohn28.

onthelimit1 19:32 PM 14 May 11

Yes, it is a very well known scam. No one (genuine) will ring and tell you your PC is infected, 'cos they don't know. You can either put the phone down on these pests or string them along.

onthelimit1 19:34 PM 14 May 11

P.S. If you're bored, you can read about others experiences (including some who were taken in here link text

birdface 20:18 PM 14 May 11

I do hope you never fell for it and parted with any cash.

If you did best canceling your credit card just to be in the safe side.

weejohn28 13:16 PM 15 May 11

Thak you all for your replies. I have now run both AVG and MALWARE scans and no viruses were found on my Computer. No I have not parted with any money nor have I phoned the telephone number which I was given, as I was highly suspicious of the whole episode, hence my query to the forum. Once again thank you for your assistance. John.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites