Windows has encountered a problem ?

Giantsquid 18:43 09 Apr 04

Hello all,
A friend of mine keeps getting the above message and the programme she is running shuts down, it is happening more and more with all sorts of programmes, could it be a virus ?

thanks for any help,

VoG II 18:49 09 Apr 04

Possibly but we need more to go on. Is there a "details" button that she can click to reveal more...

AndySD 18:50 09 Apr 04

Yes .. free virus check click here

or it could well de a corrupt driver.

Giantsquid 18:57 09 Apr 04

I'm off round to her house to have a look at her comp,

thanks.

961 19:12 09 Apr 04

I encounter a problem every morning when trying to load a programme called "bathroom."

Details include the words "I'm in here."

Don't think it's a virus...

any suggestions?

ZEROTOLERANCE 19:33 09 Apr 04

get up earlier

Giantsquid 21:26 09 Apr 04

Just back from the said house after installing adaware and spybot, running these found many dataminer, malware etc etc but did not cure the problem.
the problem starts with (usually) going into control panel to have a look at printer, internet settings, etc, then it's 'windows has encountered a problem' details show various dll's not always the same, 3 different ones in this case things like 'ntdll.dll' has caused this problem,the next crash will be another dll, there is no incompatability in device manager all seems well there, my friend said that most of the problems seem to have started after installing some microsoft office app's a few days ago and appears to be getting worse this week anyone help ?

thanks to all,

VoG II 21:28 09 Apr 04

Ignore the dross above.

Is this Windows XP?

Giantsquid 21:48 09 Apr 04

yes.....?

AndySD 22:30 09 Apr 04

Two things to try

1. If you have the xp cd and not a restore disc, put it in the drive and close the window that opens. Now click Start/All Programs/Accessories and choose Command Prompt. Type in

sfc /scannow

and hit enter. This will check and replace any damaged system files.

2. Put in the office cd and in the window that opens choose Repair.

Oh and have you looked to see if there is any updates for Office.

Giantsquid 22:41 09 Apr 04

She has no disc, preloaded when she bought the comp,
also no updates I tried that before,

thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…