Windows Genuine Validation Product Key

Air Force 16:51 16 Jan 06

I purchase my computer with windows xp loaded. I have the xp disc. However, I had a virus a couple of years ago and had the hard drive wiped. The shop reloaded my computer with windows professional. Computer works fine but now I can't use the Microsoft products that require my original product key and registration.

Is there anyway I can recertify my computer with the correct microsoft registration and product key information without reloading Windows XP completely?

woodchip 16:58 16 Jan 06

Yep but cannot think of it, It means a Regedit edit. Will have a look on how.

DieSse 17:00 16 Jan 06

Can you confirm that the original product key you have is for XP Pro please. An XP Home product key won't work with XP Pro

gudgulf 17:03 16 Jan 06

Quite clearly the "shop" have used a non legitimate version of windows.

Is the version of Windows supplied originally with the pc Home or Pro?

If it is Home your product key wont be valid for XP pro....which means you can't simply change the product key for your genuine one.

I don't think you can downgrade Windows back to Home from the Pro version either.

Which leaves you with either buying a new license for XP Pro from Microsoft or a full reinstall with your original version of XP.

woodchip 17:04 16 Jan 06

Follow this click here and run repair, you will then have to put your own key in

SANTOS7 17:08 16 Jan 06

Not sure why the "shop" did not use your original disc when it was wiped, because of a virus, doesn't quite add up...

Forum Editor 17:14 16 Jan 06

"I can't use the Microsoft products that require my original product key and registration".

What products are these? The XP disk you have is not going to help with any other Microsoft product registrations, so what exactly is it that you want to do?

woodchip 17:17 16 Jan 06

He is wanting to get back from XP Pro to XP Home without wiping the drive

PaulB2005 17:26 16 Jan 06

Can't do it. Will have to reinstall the legit software first.

DieSse 18:09 16 Jan 06

*He is wanting to get back from XP Pro to XP Home without wiping the drive*

How do you know? - I can't see that above.

That's why I asked the question.

Forum Editor 18:12 16 Jan 06

That's far from clear - which is why I asked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now