Windows Genuine Advantage

Ptolemy 08:59 27 Mar 07

I've been prompted to install this five times in the last week.

Has anyone else had this or know what's causing it?

Technotiger 09:04 27 Mar 07

Hi, it is just a normal part of Windows updates. As long as you know that you have a genuine windows XP you can ignore it - when it next appears you should see a tick-box that you can use to prevent it appearing again.

Install it and then forget I have never had a problem with it If your PC software is legal and registered you will not have problems It is a form of security to prevent any illegal user from updating microsoft operating systems

Technotiger 09:20 27 Mar 07
  Ptolemy 09:52 27 Mar 07

"If your PC software is legal and registered you will not have problems It is a form of security to prevent any illegal user from updating Microsoft operating systems"

I know what it is - but why do I have to install every day?

I installed twice over the weekend, last night and then again this morning.

If I ignore it isn't it the same as failing the evaluation?

Totally-braindead 09:58 27 Mar 07

Ptolemy you didn't say that you'd already installed it, you merely said you'd been prompted to install it five times. I think we all assumed you had been prompted to install it and had chosen not to do so.
If the update doesn't fail I have no idea as to why it keeps coming up but hopefully someone else on the Forum will know.

Technotiger 10:10 27 Mar 07

If I ignore it isn't it the same as failing the evaluation?

If you have already installed it and it keeps re-appearing, I can only guess that M'soft think yours is an illegal copy - however, this is one of the problems with WGA, it does sometimes give false positives, and that is why is is considered by many to be a form of Spyware, even though it is known to be a genuine M'soft item. It may have changed a bit since I ticked the 'don't show this again box', but if that box is still available then I would advise you to tick it, as I have done. I never get this appearing now. Also, although I know my XP is genuine, I just do not like the idea that M'soft are monitoring my PC, because that does appear to be what is happening with WGA.

Technotiger 10:13 27 Mar 07

As a matter of interest, have you tried to check for updates to your XP from within Microsoft.com? If so, what was the outcome?

provider 2 10:15 27 Mar 07

Is there a good reason for the "click here" having been removed from Ptolemy`s post this morning (10.10), or like the poker ad. am I simply unable to see it on IE 7?

Technotiger 10:20 27 Mar 07

Which click-here are you referring to? If it is the one I put there at 0920, it is still showing correctly on my pc. As far as I can see there is only the one click-here.

provider 2 10:23 27 Mar 07

The one that I am assuming ought to be in the blank space between the first and last lines of Ptolomy`s post.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…