Windows Genuine Advantage

shuggee 20:30 18 Mar 07

Can anyone tell me if there is any advantage with this - is it to my advantage or Microsoft's?

If, as I suspect, having this is not beneficial to me, is there any way I can remove it?

Thanks
shuggee

Fingees 20:35 18 Mar 07

Without it, you can't update mwindows.

It verifies that you have a genuine legal copy.

p;3 20:44 18 Mar 07

of interest, are you trying to run a non- genuine legal windows?

woodchip 20:49 18 Mar 07

Don't think I loaded it on MY XP comps, and they update ok. I remove the tick for it when I run update Manually

shuggee 21:21 18 Mar 07

My copy of windows is legit, it came with the computer.

I was just concerned about what information might be collected.

Thanks for the replies,
shuggee

lotvic 21:28 18 Mar 07

To remove WGA and the blue star that is in your bottom right hand corner see this pca thread click here

freaky 21:30 18 Mar 07

As long as your OPS is genuine, then having Windows Genuine Advantage on your PC is an advantage, Windows Updates will download automatically without the need to search for them.

lotvic 21:41 18 Mar 07

My Microsoft Windows Updates download automatically without the need to search for them.

I haven't got WGA installed (I declined it when it came in Updates - I always choose Custom not Express install)

I have a Dell and it came with genuine XP OS installed.

Stuartli 21:56 18 Mar 07

As lotvic rightly points out, choosing Notify Me of Security Updates but don't Install them in Windows Update (Security Center) allows you to choose, via Custom, which updates to download and those to reject.

WGA has nothing to do with this selection choice.

Stuartli 21:59 18 Mar 07

I should also have stated that you cannot download most other Microsoft website software unless your OS has been validated.

For obvious reasons MS decided to allow Security and similar updates to be downloaded whether the OS in use is legal or not.

p;3 22:16 18 Mar 07

one could say that just because the windows version came with the comp does not necesarily mean it is legit; another thread I dipped into had a similar probelm in that their comp did not have a legit version of XP on it as they eventlauly found out

are you having problems authenticating your version of windows to get your updates?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…