//some 3rd party need geo

Windows Genuine Advantage

jz 18:15 02 Jun 06

I'm confused about Windows Genuine Advantage. Surely, if you have XP and your copy isn't genuine, it would fail activation. Isn't that what activation is for?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:18 02 Jun 06

There are copies of XP that do not need to be activated.

Devil Fish 18:23 02 Jun 06

the reason for genuine advantage is that activation can be circumnavigated

and misuse of volume licensing keys

so genuine advantage a way of allowing only genuine users the chance to download goodies like defender and ie 7 and probably others

also recently ms has started flagging machines with a message to inform people that they are using illegal software

whilst this will not stop die hard pirates it will show genuine users that have been duped their is a problem

i also belive ms are replacing pirate with genuine copies at dicounted prices

spuds 18:57 02 Jun 06

Microsoft did a amnesty on fake copies, if it was proven that the user obtain the product from a 'reliable' source, and believed the copy was genuine. This as now stopped I believe, but Microsoft still want people to report the matter. Microsoft's advice is to go back to the supplier, and take the matter up at point of sale.

seedie 19:10 02 Jun 06

have every to protect their interests but I feel uneasy about their probing people's PCs to find out about their systems. I find their policy disturbing because they can find out whatever they like about your PC and I don't take their privacy policy with
confidence. They have been known in the past to sail
'close to the wind' on marketing too.

CD

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:16 02 Jun 06

Don't know if everyone else has the same but since downloading the WGA update my PC connects immediately as I boot into windows.

I would prefer to be in "control" of when my PC connects!

The nag message is fair enough if the system is a copy but what exactly is WGA reporting to MS when my system is genuine?

jz 19:25 02 Jun 06

"the reason for genuine advantage is that activation can be circumnavigated"

If the pirates can circumavigate activation, then I suspect it won't be long before they can circumnavigate WGA. I guess it does give Microsoft a time window before this happens though, and when it does, they will presumably come up with something else on top of Activation and WGA to check that a copy is valid. I wonder what they will call it?

jz 19:32 02 Jun 06

...by the way, what piracy protection will Windows Vista have? Will it have anything extra compared to XP?

seedie 19:40 02 Jun 06

that I chose not to download 'advantage' and have not had any updates since.

CD

namtas 19:49 02 Jun 06

jz,
it won't be long before they can circumnavigate WGA.
You are correct in you assumtion.

jz 19:53 02 Jun 06

seedie: has their actually been any updates since WGA came via Automatic Updates?

I only got WGA via automatic updates a few days ago, but automatic updates normally come only once a month (except in emergencies when Microsoft find a problem that is being widely exploited). The next round of updates aren't due for a week or two. (second Tuesday of the month).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…