Windows Galery - Tags problem

sheila.weston 12:11 13 Oct 10

I am going through my image files adding tags and captions, but do not understand the windows gallery window. On the left is a long list of file NAMES, which seem to have got listed as tags. How can I reduce the number of tags in this list, many of which point to a single file.

My pictures folder is subdivided into a LOT of folders and sub-folders.

I have never used tha tagging system before, although I *have* used the properties option by right-clicking the file to add title and comments.

Many thanks for any help.

hssutton 16:50 13 Oct 10

Not sure exactly what you are after Sheila.

The names down the left side are "Tags". So if you have a tag called "Birds" and you have named/tagged your images correctly, clicking on "Birds" will bring up all the birds in your gallery.

However if you also tagged some of your birds, with a secondary tag i.e Robins, then clicking on "Robins" will just show Robins. As you can imagine you will soon have loads of tags listed down the lefthand pane

I've never used Windows Gallery, so I'm not 100% sure, but to delete tags I think you will have to do each image seperately.

As an example if you had mistakenly tagged a thrush as "bird, thrush and robin" What you need to do is left click on the image and in the right hand pane right click on the offending tag, in this case "robin" and select delete.

Over the years I also saved all my photos to dedicated folders and sub folders, so most of my photos are not tagged, something I'm now correcting, but I'm using Adobe Lightroom

sheila.weston 19:55 13 Oct 10

Thanks for your reply, but I have been doing the same as you - putting things into dedicated folders and subfolders - and now want to label them properly and tag the individual files.

When I open the file in Windows Photo gallery and go to the 'add tag' box a selection the eight or so tags which I have already used comes up. I can then either choose one of the selection or type a new tag. OK so far.

BUT when I select the 'Go to Gallery' option at the top left of the screen, I am presented with hundreds of thumbnails and a list at the left which include ALL the folders and sub-folders in my picture folders in rather a random order.

True, I can get all the files which are tagged 'Smith' by using the search box at the top right of the gallery screen, but I don't really want ALL the folders etc to show up, just the eight options which I have specifically used for tagging (so far) and thumbnails of the files in the folder I am working on.

If I say that I have folders for each year back to the 1930s, plus lots of sub-folders, you may see what I mean! On top of this there are folders for specific albums, Famiy History research etc.

How an I show just just the folders which I have specifically tagged?

sheila.weston 20:59 13 Oct 10

Looking at the images again in Photo gallery, if I right-click a file and select properties, I see that most of them have been tagged, but I realy don't remember physically entering all these tags. eg I have one of my daughter in a sack race and it has been tagged 'jenny, sack, 1973' - I am sure that I wouldn't have made a tag for 'sack'!

So they MUST have been automatically tagged. I guess that I will just have to live with it.

I have found that I can move files around in the gallery view, so perhaps that is the way to go.

hssutton 22:42 13 Oct 10

"BUT when I select the 'Go to Gallery' option at the top left of the screen, I am presented with hundreds of thumbnails and a list at the left which include ALL the folders and sub-folders in my picture folders in rather a random order."

This because you are working from the Gallery as apposed to an individual image, Once all your images have been tagged and you then select an image from a tag to view, or add another tag, you will be returned to the tagged image thumbnail.

Images will only be auto tagged with camera exif data plus a title that you may have given the image at the time of editing.

As I said previously Windows Gallery is a program I do not use, but was intrigued by your problem and decided to have a quick look at it.

sheila.weston 22:27 14 Oct 10

Re: Once all your images have been tagged and you then select an image from a tag to view, or add another tag, you will be returned to the tagged image thumbnail...

Sorry to be dim, but I am not sure what you mean. Have i missed something? I can select all the eg SMITH photos by putting SMITH in the search box on the windows explorer window. Yes? I then get ALL the SMITH tagged images. Or is there another way. I think that I need to work with this for a bit, in case there are other facets.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…