windows firewall turning itself off

mermaid25 20:58 24 Apr 05

I was getting a lot of pop ups and search bars appearing and the pc seemed to be very slow.I ran Norton anti virus, also spybot and adaware se personal. I had loads of threats and eventually all were fixed. Then I looked at windows firewall and it was turned off, none of the pc users had done this. When I next turned on the pc and logged on, the window for connecting to the internet appeared without me doing anything. this made me look at the firewall again. And it was turned off again.
I have Norton Internet Security 2005 installed. should I use this firewall instead of windows?
Many thanks to anyone who can help.
Ps Am novice at this computer lark, so help must be in novice language please!!!

VoG II 21:00 24 Apr 05

Yes use the Norton firewall. The Windows one is inbound only.

mermaid25 21:07 24 Apr 05

thanks will change to norton. do you have any idea what is causing the dial up connection window to appear without prompting?

Pooke100 21:08 24 Apr 05

Use norton, make sure all features are turned on and Windows firewall is off!

You should only have one firewall switched on.

Ensure you regularly use the live update feature in Norton Internet Security.

Do scans of with Norton, Spybot and Adaware say on a weekly basis.

Once in a while do an online AV scan click here

HTH

VoG II 21:10 24 Apr 05

In Internet Explorer, Tools/Internet Options. Connections tab, tick Never dial a connection.

Scan for trojans click here

mermaid25 21:37 24 Apr 05

Will try that tomorrow, thanks.

mermaid25 10:21 28 Apr 05

Norton Internet security is enabled, I have done a virus scan, ran spybot and adaware also a friend recommended spyware blaster, so have installed that. But still the dial up window appears without clicking on anything. Its showing the correct details. also when I open outlook express I get popups, eg www. search miaracle; ads.revenue; and paypopup.com. Any ideas?

Stuartli 13:04 28 Apr 05

The Windows firewall usually disables itself if there is another firewall on the system.

mermaid25 21:28 02 May 05

Thank you for your help, I didn't realise that windows firewall wasn't on because I had the NIS one on. It was only the popups appearing that caused me to look at the firewall. I have a slightly better idea of whats going on now, but this thread has evolved into another thread- POPUPS AND PROBLEMS, I was hoping to tick the resolved box but it seems to be a bit premature.
I am posting this response because whilst I was waiting for replies to my other thread, I noticed there was a discussion about postee's not letting helpers know if the situation was resolved or not.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…