windows firewall and system restore not working

patso 13:11 15 Jun 06

can anyone help.when i tried to go on line yesterday i got a warning windows firewall is disabled.when i clicked on the shield to fix the problem i got this message windows cannot start the firewall internet connection sharing service.windows firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running .do you want to start the ics service.when i click yes i get the first message.then services could not start ics error2 the system cant find the file.i tried sys restore but this is failing to restore my computer as well.can anyone help please?i am logged on local pc as i cant connect to the net on my pc thanks

VoG II 13:16 15 Jun 06
  patso 13:23 15 Jun 06

thanks vog i am having major probs connecting to the net with ie .i am using broadband which says i am connected at 10mbps but ie is asking me to dial up.i am lost .also can you tell me what is wrong with system restore as i tried 4 times and each time it says no files have been restored .this is after going thru the restore process.i ran avg which found nothing,thanks again.

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:22 15 Jun 06

Try ewido from click here and delete all it finds. The symptons that your computer has can SOMETIMES be a trojan problem.

G

rdave13 16:30 15 Jun 06

With windows firewall try>>>start >> run >>services.msc >> scroll down to windows firewall/internet connections..>>double click>>set startup to automatic then start service.

patso 13:10 16 Jun 06

i have tried the services and still get the error message.i cant get on line because internet explorer wont open for me so i am lost as to what the problem is.i am using the library pc at the moment.i have found the restore problem.i only have one restore point and it is to the time the pc has stopped responding.all the other restore dates are gone from my pc.something has wiped them out.i ran avg in safe mode and it found nothing but a boot error it could not read?also ewido on my pc wont work and the lan card says connected but there is no traffic.will an uninstall and reinstall of sp2 fix the problems i wonder andwhat about the updates .thanks again i was four hours last night trying to fix things with no luck any ideas

VoG II 13:14 16 Jun 06

Try a repair click here

patso 13:30 16 Jun 06

thanks vog i copied all the links to floppy as tha is all they have in library.will install reg key tonight.i tried uninstall software for b band to reinstall but windows would not fully uninstall.i triedreinstall off disk but itwas telling me an instance was still running to quit before reinstall.hhow do i uninstall and any ideas aboutwhy ie is not logging on to net .thanks again.

patso 13:32 16 Jun 06

ps i meant to ask you will i uninstall sp2 first before reinstalling it .sorry

patso 13:09 19 Jun 06

i done a repair and reinstalled sp2 and my bband and settings seem to be back also the windows firewall is back working.i done a repair as a last resort as the firewall repair links did not work.i am going to post a new question as there are some files on my desk top i do not know where they come from and cant delete them as they keep coming back.thanks again for all the help and replies and check the helproom if you can .thanks again patso

patso 17:30 05 Jul 06

thamks for all the replies i got cc cleaner and ran the reg repair tool from it and it seems to have done the trick.many thanks again to all who helped me.patso

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…