is windows firewall any good??

GEEKSTA 15:21 20 Jan 08

Ive just bought a new pc with vista, and i think it has windows firewall already in it ( i think),
anyway, i want to know if it is any good??

Or should I just stick to my zonealarm pro?
Is it as strong as zonealarm??

thanks

Technotiger 15:22 20 Jan 08

Not very good - Sunbelt Peersonal Firewall is very much better, even the free version.

Technotiger 15:22 20 Jan 08

Ooops - Personal ..........

GEEKSTA 15:30 20 Jan 08

do you think its good enough to keep vista wrapped up safe?

SouthernComfort 15:39 20 Jan 08

The Vista firewall is hardly any better than XPs.
Many believe that it works two ways. By default it doesn't. Even if set up all the out going filters are set to "allow".
It can be set to block outgoing applications but will not block trogans etc.
Get something better, Comodo etc.
Bob

Technotiger 15:40 20 Jan 08

Sunbelt Personal Firewall (formerly known as Kerio) is excellent IMHO, so the answer is - Yes!

If you use the free download for Sunbelt you actually get the Full version for the first 30 days - after that it reverts to the Free version (still good enough) unless you opt to buy it - which I have done!

User-1229748 15:51 20 Jan 08

windows defender isn't too clever either - read the forums and you'll find plenty of alternatives

Fingees 15:56 20 Jan 08

I've used Vistas own firewall since installation, as this one worked with incoming and outgoing, unlike the xp version.

It appears to do an excellent job.

Mind you, I also have a built in one on the modem/router.

GEEKSTA 16:03 20 Jan 08

ok then,

so what would you think about norton 360 all in one??

Stuartli 16:10 20 Jan 08

There's a Vista version of ZoneAlarm Free. See:

click here#

skidzy 20:45 20 Jan 08

The Vista firewall is better than xp's but only just.

We have had this debate on many occassions now.Though by default it blocks incoming traffic,but it does block some outgoing traffic via the preset filters.

Now this can be configured,though its very difficult and basically you need very good knowledge of the firewall and how its rules are created..can be tricky !

Some reading here click here

Obviously the safest protection is sensible surfing.If you visit ..lets say iffy sites,use a freebie or paid version of a well known firewall such as Zonealarm or Kerio etc.

If your using a router,enable its Nat firewall also.

At the end of the day,if you agree to download something,and you give it permission to install,no matter what security you have...you will get problems if from a dodgey source.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…