windows firewall

grizzley 12:15 10 Apr 07

can somebody please help me with my windows firewall which i can not access which in turn is slowing my download speed. on monday i downloaded microsofts vista advisor, i tried to run this but it did not work. i removed software from my system then i decided i would download something i found but the site registered a blocked ip address, i went to my firewall to see what could be done but it failed to work due to ics and error code 1068 the dependency service or group failed to start. i attempted to turn on or start the services needed but it did not work either. i would like to solve this if possible or remove windows firewall altogether. i have ashampoo firewall installed and running so i am safe at present. any help would be greatfull. thanks

anskyber 12:19 10 Apr 07

Have you been trying to run two firewalls together?

uesquebeathus 14:45 10 Apr 07

go to Start , Control Panel / Security Center, the firewall should be marked as ON,
if you have replaced it with a different firewall click the ON button arrows,
then the new firewall should be listed.if the newer firewall is not listed and the option is showing that Windows firewall is in use, click disable then point the system to your actual firewall.

malgall 16:40 10 Apr 07

do not run more than one firewall at a time
as windows only monitors traffic one way
and i expect you other will monitor
internet trafic to and from your computer
then that one would be your best choose

grizzley 11:59 11 Apr 07

thankyou for your reply. unfortunatly this does not solve the problem of accessing my firewall.so that i can disable it, i have no access at all to the firewall,last i knew it was running. i have had two firewalls for nearly a year as windows xp firewall is full of holes and according to a security checking software it was not capable of doing its job, it has always been said by many different organisations that two firewalls are better than one, this now works better than just windows only and i have had no trouble running both together. i would like help to solve my problem because whilst i am unable to get access my download speed is greatly reduced.

any attempt i have made to rectify this problem just rtesults in error messages codes 1068 the dependency service or group failed to start. error code 193.ocx1. main error report states windows firewall settings can not be displayed because associated service is not running. do you want to start the windows firewall/internet connection sharing (ICS) service, i clicked ok but it failed to work i have tried the dependency services in the services list but that does not help. please if you can give me some real advice i would appreciate it. thankyou

acein1 18:53 11 Apr 07

it has always been said by many different organisations that two firewalls are better than one,

pray tell which organisations are these,that suggest that 2 firewalls are better than 1,i am a member of many help sites and i have yet to here of anyone suggesting this i am not surprised your getting error messages

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:24 11 Apr 07

1. Click Start, and then click Help and Support.
2. Under Pick a Task, click Use Tools to view your computer information and diagnose problems.
3. In the Tools area, click System Configuration Utility.
4. In the right pane, click Open System Configuration Utility. This opens the System Configuration Utility.
5. Click the Services tab.
6. Make sure all the following services are turned on. To turn on a service, click to select the check box.
• Application Layer Gateway Service
• Network Connections
• Network Location Awareness (NLA)
• Plug and Play
• Remote Access Auto Connection Manager
• Remote Access Connection Manager
• Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
• Telephony
7. Click OK, and then click Restart.
8. After Windows restarts, rerun the Internet Connection Sharing Wizard.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:29 11 Apr 07

The only way you can safely use two firewalls is:

One Software firewall on the PC
One Hardware firewall built into a router

Two softwar firewalls WILL conflict.

Windows firewall is oneway only, Ashampoo is better but....

I prefer ZoneAlarm , Kerio, Sygate, or Commodo

Firewalls :-
Comodo Personal Firewall 2.0 click here
Filesclab click here
Jetico click here
Kerio4 click here
Netveda click here
Nrt firewall 2.0.1 click here
Outpost free click here
R-firewall click here
Securepoint click here
Softperfect click here
Sygate click here
Wyvernworks click here
ZoneAlarm click here

woodchip 21:41 11 Apr 07

Windows Firewall, Dump It

grizzley 13:49 16 Apr 07

thankyou for all those people who tried to help unfortunately i was not able to fix it with any of the advice given thanks anyway. i downloaded xp pro and that sorted that out. as for firewall i am now using zonealarm security software and windows firewall has been turned off. thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…