//some 3rd party need geo

Windows firewall.

Kudu 20:54 14 Nov 03

I am constantly getting security alerts from Norton firewalls when they are enabled.Could somebody tell me if i see an alert from Norton about a backdoor trojan if it has passed thro, the windows firewall first or what and therefore how good is the windows firewall.I run a network and Norton is disabled most of the time anyway so as to connect online,would i be just as well removing Norton from both computers and relying on the windows one.

I see from posts that one or two people say you don't need a firewall at all.

dfghjkl 21:09 14 Nov 03

i use zone alarm,it is free,wether it is needed or not it seems to stop things getting into my pc,but i have no idea what it stops coming in but i know it does because it tells me.xp firewall does not tell me anything or asks me what is ok to let in so i dont know what,if anything it does but i leave it on,because i can.i am sure you will get some more helpful answers

Have not used one for the last six months, using avg antivirus and no trojans have arrived as yet.

Thetford Brian 21:18 14 Nov 03

I would advise using Zone Alarm firewall - you can turn the alerting on or off (it'll still continue it's function and not keep annoying you with it's warnings of intrusions).

A firewall's essential to Internet Security, it prevents hacking of your system and will stop any unauthorised programs on your PC, passing on information to someone on the Internet.

From what you said, I don't think a trojan will have passed through the firewall, but if one has the firwall (when enabled) should stop a trojan being able to transmit it's information to the Internet.

For more information and to download Zone Alarm (you can get a free version) click on this link click here

yuffy 00:28 15 Nov 03

Firstly if you have broadband or any other continous connection you should have a firewall installed full stop.
Depending upon what O/S you have check out for security updates.
NO you should not disable a firewall. Whoever said that you don't need a firewall is wrong. Unless you have a dial up modem when the risk is limited.
Try lowering your setting's on norton. It could also be that norton is detecting spy/adware that is on your system & reporting that as a trojan if your worried that norton is picking up a trojan or worm run a search on google for worms & trojans then search.
lastly If windows was so secure why do companies like norton exist.
Stick with norton or do a search on google & make your own mind up.
DO NOT DISABLE FIREWALL

Kudu 06:58 15 Nov 03

What i was trying to say was that i have a network installed and the only way the computers can see each other and link to the internet is by having the Norton firewall turned off on both computers. This means i am relying on the Windows firewall and i wondered if this gave enough security.

Andsome 08:42 15 Nov 03

You should not run Windows firewall together with another third party firewall. The Windows firewall should be turned off, it's a waste of time.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:43 15 Nov 03

You will NOT get hacked on a home computer. Hackers are not interested in the utter drivel that is on mine and everyone else's

Firewalls are useful in stopping Trojans dialling out but to be honest, if someone wanted to put a dialler on a computer, it would not be rocket science. There are at least 5 programmes that can by-pass firewalls, 'TooLeaky' having the Gibsonmeisters' grudgingly awarded seal of entry. The Cult of the Dead Cows' Back Orifice, cheekily named after Microsoft's' Back Office, could easily be put on a target computer, if one was really trying and the firewall would still be asleep dreaming of bytes.

However, like my computer, most home computers contain utter drivel which is important to the owner but naff all use to the great unwashed. Bank and credit card details can be culled much easier than rooting through turgid files on a home computer. Hacking is not about breaking into home computers, it is about getting onto networks using passwords.

The 'alerts/attacks' are merely computers on the net asking your computer if it is still connected; these queries are called 'handshakes'. When you are connected to the net you could be going through many servers and routers. This occurs in a millisecond, so you do not notice. All these routers and servers need to know that your computer is receiving, so that they can send images and WebPages to your IP, which is in effect, your mailbox or receiving station. When on the Net you can pass through more than 20 servers and routers and they could all be handshaking your computer at short intervals. You will notice many of the 'alerts' come from Telecoms, which should come as no surprise as they own most of the routers etc. It is also interesting and miraculous that the 'alerts' disappear when you pay for the *ahem* Pro-Version of a firewall (see Zonealarm;-) ).

If you were being hacked, I can assure you that you would not get an alert.

Turn off all the alert buttons/warnings on your firewall safe in the knowledge that you will not be hacked.

If it is any consolation, I do not use a firewall on both my computers and I am on BB. I use a firewall on my laptop only because I take it to clients...so out of respect for their fears....... If you want to use a firewall use one that works silently in the background such as Outpost, unless you are networked onto a huge network not home, in which case you should be using a hardware firewall, there is no point in paying for a firewall.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…