Windows Fire wall and Zone Alarm 4 or 5

fullyfitted 19:54 31 Dec 04

Season’s greetings to all.

I am using XP Home with N A V and Zone Alarm 45_594_000.
I have just installed SP 2 and have had to disable the windows firewall because of problems accessing some sites (i.e. Google) and getting an error message 0x8024402C on the Windows update site.
I have downloaded Zone Alarm 50_590_055 but I seem to remember that when it first came out it was unstable and gave some problems , any one know if this has been resolved or have I got it wrong.
I would appreciate advice as to whether I am adequately protected with Z A 4 or should I go with Z A 5
Many thanks

Technotiger 20:02 31 Dec 04

Hi, NOT a good idea to run two firewalls - I would strongly advise latest Free Zone Alarm, it is also better than XP's firewall which does not close all Ports. In ZA under Firewall - set Internet Zone to High and Trusted Zone to Med - this will ensure that your pc virtually invisible to the Internet.

g0nvs 20:02 31 Dec 04

XP Home + SP2 using Zone Alarm 5.5.... no problems at all. Switch off Windows Firewall and use Zone Alarm. Regards..

fullyfitted 20:16 31 Dec 04

Technotiger and
g0nvs

Many thanks for the prompt and helpful response.
sorry to be a pain but is it necessary to un install ZA4 before installing ZA5 or will it simply go over the top?

Technotiger 20:18 31 Dec 04

No ....... :-))

Technotiger 20:19 31 Dec 04

Sorry just read your last Post again - Yes, it will go over the top ....... bit like me really :-))

fullyfitted 20:22 31 Dec 04

Ok and thanks again,
Have A good new years eve.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…