Windows finding PCI Comm. Device

kimjhon 21:52 25 Jul 06

Hi
98Se
I'm getting a message at boot saying windows has found a PCI Communication Device and wants the drivers for it.
I take it that means a Modem?
The dial-up modem is not attached
System info says there is no modem.
The b/b modem is listed in device manager - where it should be- under USB and under Network adapters. And seems to be working properly. No probs in Device manager.
Can anyone throw any light on this, please?

Diodorus Siculus 22:05 25 Jul 06

Do you have a PCI network card installed?

kimjhon 22:08 25 Jul 06

Hi Diodorus Siculus
No I dont.

Diodorus Siculus 22:12 25 Jul 06

Sorry dcdc - that was my only alternative suggestion :-(

What PCI cards are installed?

woodchip 22:36 25 Jul 06

Let the Wizard run just keep pressing OK to it and then check Device Manager for yellow icon to try to find out what it's trying to load.

woodchip 22:37 25 Jul 06

Or once you have done the above, just leave it with the yellow icon. It's not going to harm anything.

woodchip 22:38 25 Jul 06

It may be looking for motherboard Com drivers

kimjhon 22:50 25 Jul 06

Woodchip
The Wizard runs before windows loads. So i cant look in Device manager in real time. And the wizard says 'unknown device'. Later, Device manager shows no conflicts at all.
Should I run the Motherboard driver cd and install over ?

woodchip 22:53 25 Jul 06

No you look after it loads.
I would try the Mobo Drivers it will not hurt

kimjhon 23:00 25 Jul 06

Diodorus Siculus
There is a graphics card and a USB2 card (needed for 98). Did a forum search and i have gathered - prob wrongly - 'communication' is something to do with a modem.

kimjhon 23:16 25 Jul 06

Woodchip
Have installed m/b drivers. Still getting message. Since Windows does not know what it has found, how can I direct windows to the correct drivers ?? Life is a mystery !

When i used the auto run CD for the USB broadband modem, I think it automatically disabled the dial-up modem. Dont know. But the dial-up modem is not listed anywhere. And I have unplugged it ,anyway. if i re install the dial-up drivers, it wont interfere with thge configs for the b/b modem, will it ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…