Windows fax service and broadband modems

MAC 15:23 10 Feb 04

I use Windows XP Professional and this morning installed the fax service from add remove Windows components. However when I came to the modem options I can only see direct cable connection, or standard dial up modems. Not an option to choose my Speed Touch broadband modem on a USB port.

Am I overlooking something obvious or have Microsoft not allowed broadband modem users access to this feature?

The fax service requires a normal dial up modem as the signal used is the same os for normal voice communications. ADSL or Broadband is dedicated to the transmission of data at a very much higher frequency than that used for voice comms. The result of this is that a fax machine would not be able to process or even recognise the signal over a broadband connection.

The bottom line is that you still need a normal dial up modem (56K) to send or recieve a fax.

Why has this not been built into ADSL modems? Well you may ask, but to do so you would basically be building in the exact same dial up modem but at a much higher cost. With such modems available for as little as £8.00 why would you want to add more cost (and complexity) to an ADSL modem?

Forgot to post a link click here

and also it is not anything to do with Microsoft but the technology employed. Microsoft software can only work within the confines of this technology.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…