Windows fails to connect to System Event Notification Service

tallboy 06 Feb 13

For some reason, I am now getting pop-up messages when I start up saying 'Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service' and that 'This problem prevents standard users logging on to the System'. At the same time, I notice that the tray bar at the bottom of the screen comes up in a light grey colour rather than it's normal darkish grey.

What's going on and how do I fix it?

Suggestions gratefully received.

Tallboy

Newuser4165 06 Feb 13

I had an identical problem just before Christmas on my Win7 pc.I fixed my problem bysetting the pc to normal startup rather than selective startup. Run msconfig from start menu and select normal startup.

tallboy 06 Feb 13

Thanks for the replies Jock1e & Newuser4165. I should have said that I'm running 64-bit Win7. I ran msconfig and found that the PC is already set to 'normal startup.

Does your suggestion Jock1e also apply to Win 7? If so, I'll give that a try.

I've also noticed another annoying problem (which doesn't always occur) and that is on some action windows the places where there are 'buttons' that ask for action are showing random & mixed colours rather than the text that should be there. The buttons still appear to work (if you already know what the text is). Any ideas how to fix that?

tallboy 07 Feb 13

The fix for Vista seems to have worked OK for Windows 7 as well. Thanks for the post Jock1e

Jollyjohn 07 Feb 13

I came across this on an Acer laptop and it prevented connection to the internet, wired or wireless.

Acer suggested restoring to factory defaults settings - but a system restore to the day before the problem occurred has fixed it for now. We are monitoring updates carefully in case it re occurs.

tallboy 07 Feb 13

Interesting feedback jollyjohn.

Also see my post 'Windows 7 64-bit graphics start-up problems' I can't see any connection between the graphics problems I'm having & winsock, but it's strange that when I have run Jock1e's solution (which I have done a couple of times now) the graphics problem has gone away.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message