Windows explorer thinks it is Internet Explorer

Grannyann 16:07 16 Feb 05

Since downloading a security update from Microsoft, AND a new copy of Symantec's Internet Security Package (also an upgrade) windows explorer refuses to read my D drive, and I cannot get the new software from Symantec to install. Symantec advise taking out all their products, including Norton Utilities and reinstalling, but I downloaded Norton years ago, and their website only allows you to re-download for one year. So I don't want to uninstall what I very much doubt I can replace. Anyone got any ideas or am I really going to have to bite this bullet? Explorer falls over and I get an error message that says Internet explorer is closing down.

VoG II 16:16 16 Feb 05

Try a repair of Internet Explorer click here

Grannyann 20:14 16 Feb 05

Thanks VoG, I tried this and got"Internet explorer cannot be repaired ... errors version 4.0.0.2926 of file DISPEX.DLL exists but the version needs to be greater than 5.1.0.4615, and similarly SCRRUN.DLL exists but needs to be greater than 5.1.0.5010.
So I tried reinstalling IE6. I still get the same error message when I try to access my D drive, explorer falls over, and I get another error message that IE is closing down, and to try rebooting. Which makes no difference.

I strongly suspect the security updates previously downloaded for IE6 are part of the problem, but can't think how to repair Windows explorer without reinstalling everything.

sattman 20:19 16 Feb 05

Have you tried a system restore.?

VoG II 20:21 16 Feb 05

Which version of Windows are you using, Grannyann?

Grannyann 21:06 16 Feb 05

98SE - so no system restore.

VoG II 21:17 16 Feb 05

No System Restore but you can use click here to totally remove Internet Explorer then install IE6 SP1 from click here (this is the full version, not just a Service Pack).

Grannyann 21:25 16 Feb 05

Many thanks - I will try these, and get back tomorrow if it doesn't work.

Grannyann 23:06 16 Feb 05

Thanks again VoG, apart from a scarey moment or two the process you suggested has resolved the windows/internet explorer conflict. All I have to do now is resolve the Symantec issue, but that is definitely going to have to wait until tomorrow.

woodchip 23:20 16 Feb 05

All you need to do with Win98se is restore the Registry to before the update. Start with 98 floppy disc at A:\> type SCANREG /RESTORE press enter choose a date before the update press enter

Grannyann 10:33 17 Feb 05

Thanks, woodchip, but when you've already rebooted more than a dozen times, you've overrun the number of copies kept of your originally good registry (usually 5). So this move doesn't work. The software suggested by VoG really did the trick by getting rid of the flawed copy of internet explorer, and allowed windows explorer to work correctly. As a matter of interest, I back up my system files to my d drive, which seemed a good idea before I was unable to access my d drive properly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…