Windows Explorer Question

nickyjane 22:53 08 Dec 04

Hi Guys
Keep getting a message saying "windows explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close"
What's does it mean, what is Explorer, do I have a serious problem and can it be fixed. My O/S is XP Home without sp2. I do always install the latest updates from Microsoft. Hope you can help. Thanks

Smegs 01:20 09 Dec 04

Windows Explorer is where your files are kept, so you can go and have a look at them.

If you have your XP disk, put it in your CDdrive. Now goto the start button and click it. Goto Run, Click it. Another little screen appears. Type in sfc /scannow. This will scan your pc and try to anything that is wrong, right.

"SFC /SCANNOW" Can anyone tell NickyJane, if thats right please??

VoG II 07:40 09 Dec 04

Yep

sfc /scannow

Note the space before /.

Smegs 11:26 09 Dec 04

Thanks for that VoG™.

Merry Christmas to you and the Family.

Smegs 11:29 09 Dec 04

"try to anything that is wrong, right".

That should read, Try to anythink RIGHT, that is WRONG.

Sorry.

KimW 18:50 09 Dec 04

Each time i enter "My Computer" a torch icon appears as if a saerch is going on to find page. The page then finally appears but when i click on any icon ie: C drive or programs and try and delete or copy etc. i the program freezes and i get the message "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and will have to close" i then have to use task manager to come out of frozen program. I have checked for virus and found none and am running norton and zone alarm + spyware but no trace. Can you help. I have also checked my windows files but they seem intact.
Have tried sfc /scannow as well but no success
Anyone help. Please!?

did you get it fixed somehow

Smegs 12:26 10 Dec 04

Try to restore to when it was OK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…