Windows Explorer Problems -

woodpecker 21:46 04 Aug 04

Hi, Can anyone help me with a problem I seem to have with Windows Explorer on a Windows XP machine?

If I leave it open its usually ok and will run at around 30K (I can check this by checking windwos task manager. However sometimes it incrases massively in size to up to 400K then starts jumping around constantly one second its 240, then 360 then 180 etc, etc. At The same time using Explorer or just the program menu becomes almost impossible as it slows right down, you can be waiting a minute or more for a response! The only way I can then seem to cure it is by rebooting, does anyone have any idea what's causing this and how to cure it?

I have a P4 2800 with 1GB RAM, 2 x 80 GB HD and I have the latest updates from Microsoft. The only other thing I can think that may be relevant is that U use a netsharing program. Thanks for reading, all ideas welcome!

VoG II 21:48 04 Aug 04

If you mean that you are using P2P programs, they are riddled with spyware. Try Ad-aware click here and Spybot click here for starters.

woodpecker 22:07 04 Aug 04

I have got and run ad-aware but no sign of any problems that way

woodpecker 22:30 04 Aug 04

FYI yes its P2P emule and I don't think it has any spyware on this one which is one of the mainr reasons for choosing it. Still I cannot understand what would make my explorer.exe jump around like that an inflate itself 10 or 15 times its normal size. Also from memory I think it can still happen when I am not running emule just so long as I leave Windows Explorer running, I'm out of ideas on this one. Oh yeah and I did have Norton 2003 System works till the licence ran out and running that didn't seem to find the problem either.

woodchip 22:53 04 Aug 04

Put XP disc in Comp and from Run Box type

SFC /scannow

woodpecker 23:27 04 Aug 04

Tried running SFC/Scannow, it starts up but then comes up with the message
"Files that are required for windows to run properly must be copied to dll cache

insert your windows xp professional service pack CD Now" And despite trying a couple of times I can get no further, I am using the Home edition of XP but its a Kosha disc

Chegs ® 23:34 04 Aug 04

With my XP Home install I got the exact same thing "insert your windows xp professional service pack CD" I cancelled running SFC /SCANNOW and then restarted it with my XP Home CD already in the drive.Again the "insert your windows xp professional service pack CD" message appeared,but then it accepted the Home version and completed(albeit damn slowly)

woodchip 23:35 04 Aug 04

It sounds like it is looking for Dll's from your programs not the windows disc try putting different program discs in and rerun it

woodpecker 01:13 05 Aug 04

Hi, I have found this article on how to get round the problem

click here

I am currently copying the I386 to my C drive then I will make the change in the registry and see if it works, I'll let you know!

woodpecker 07:14 05 Aug 04

OK Tried it and it works ok but besides changing the default source for windows you also need to change the source (in the same folder) for the service pack to the c drive.

Time will now tell if that has helped with my windows explorer problem, I am having one new problem since running sfc, I keep getting a small pop up box saying there is a conflict with a busy program, click to switch to program' when you click on it it simply goes to the basic programs start up field as if you had pressed start in the bottom left hand corner, any ideas what this might be?

woodchip 13:05 05 Aug 04

This sounds like it's going back to you loading the System files from the restore CD, as I have never encounted that after running SFC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…