Windows Explorer Problem , HELP !!! please

woofwoofbark 22:35 04 May 05

Hi there , I have a problem with my computer ... I was having a problem with activex and javascript , some sites would not load with a message saying that axtivex and javascript was not active and wont allow me to view sites , ie click here and click here amongst others , I thought it was a problem to do with SP2 , so I deleted SP2 and tried to access the sites about but no joy , so I reinstelled SP2 from windowsupdate , everything went well but when windows opened I got my background picture but no taskbar , a popup appears saying theres a problem with Windows Explorer , click to send/dont send a report , then nothing .... I can access taskbar manager but thats it , I tried to load Windows XP through my own cdrom but i get a message saying the windows on my machine is newer than the one on my xp cdrom .... I have limited knowlege abut computers and was wondering if anyone knows what to do or suggest anything

windows xp SP2 ...

thanks in advance

any comments or questions would be most helpfull

cheers

geo

Technotiger 22:49 04 May 05

Hi, you might find your answer here -

click here

Cheers.

Chegs ® 23:53 04 May 05

As one who regularly crashes explorer.exe customising my desktop,let me try and explain howto solve your problem.

Using the task manager(CTRL+ALT+DEL)you can browse to XP's "backup" of explorer.exe by Applications tab,and click the New Task button.Its

C:\Windows\System32\DllCache\explorer.exe

Usually "hidden" by XP.There should also be another explorer.exe in the SP-2 $**Uninstall*******$ folders.If your system files are hidden(most are)then use run and type in "%systemroot%\system32\dllcache" without the quotes,and look for explorer.exe.Copy it to C\Windows(having 1st used Task Manager to stop the damaged explorer.exe running Processes tab/Explorer.exe highlighted,and End Task Button)delete the C\Windows\explorer.exe and paste the DllCache into its place.Then,you should be able to use Applications/New Task/Browse to restart the explorer.exe and be back to as before.

If you still have the same trouble,then its XP's System File Protection stopping you mess with system files,and you will need to run SFC /SCANNOW with XP CD in Drive.This can be typed into Run Box,via task manager. :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…