Windows Explorer occasionally "hangs"

grumpy-git 11:44 19 Jul 05

After re-installing Windows XP a month or so ago (due to a Windows problem) I now find that Windows Explorer occasionally ceases to function. The cursor shows the egg-timer but nothing else happens on Explorer. If I go into Task Manager it is shown as not responding, but other than that everything else still seems to run.

Looking through other subjects with a similar problem I did try sfc /scannow but that has made no difference at all.

Any suggestions please?

grumpy-git 19:57 19 Jul 05

That's twice today it has happened, still no ideas anybody??

Technotiger 20:08 19 Jul 05

Hi, try this, might work:-

Control/Alt/Delete - When the Windows Task Manager dialog box appears, select the File menu and then New Task (Run). When the Create New Task dialog box appears, type in Explorer and press the OK button. Windows Explorer should restart complete with the Start button.

Cheers.

grumpy-git 23:13 20 Jul 05

Technotiger, thanks for the reply. The problem happened again today & I tried what you suggested, but Explorer didn't start - the whole pc almost locked up completely. I thought I was going to have to power off & restart, but got round it by ctrl/alt/delete and ending the tasks that were not responding.
Normally when it happens I can start a fresh version of windows explorer by my normal means, but what I need to do is find out why it keeps hanging on me.

G-G

woodchip 23:21 20 Jul 05

If you have a full XP disc you could try a IE repair as it's linked to W/Explorer click here

grumpy-git 00:34 21 Jul 05

Thanks for the reply woodchip, unfortunately the XP is a version on the c drive, as in an Advent pc from PC World.

G-G

grumpy-git 19:27 21 Jul 05

Windows Explorer hung again today, so I tried starting it again via ctrl/alt/del and new task. This time it worked, but I still don't know what causes it to freeze.

Also, if I "end task" a version that is not responding, everything disappears off the screen except the desktop image, after many seconds the icons re-appear, along with the taskbar, but about 7 of the icons that should be on the right-hand side of the taskbar just go missing.

G-G

grumpy-git 08:29 23 Jul 05

Windows Explorer still hangs at least once a day.

Seems there are no further suggestions as to the cause or how to cure the problem?

G-G

Mac101 15:04 28 Jul 06

Hi,
I had a similar problem after I installed Ghost Surf onto my AOL (off PC Advisor disk!) - the right mouse button wouldn't work and Explorer stopped responding. It worked all right in Safe Mode if I logged in as Administrator but not on my user name with admin privileges.
I have uninstalled the program - really not that easy - had to resort to Regedit to get rid of all references.
This appears to have fixed the problem.
Mac

grumpy-git 16:38 28 Jul 06

it rarely causes problems these days. I used to record a lot of tv progs on the pc and there were lots of 2gb MPEG files on the hard drives, but since getting a dvd recorder the pc is used for more "normal" things.

To be honest I can't remember the last time explorer caused me a problem, so I'll mark this topic as resolved

woodchip 20:16 28 Jul 06

You could still try IE repair without the disc It may see the i386 folder that windows should be in

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…