Windows Explorer now doesn't work, please help

erkmatrix 08:59 08 May 09

Hi I'm having problems with windows explorer, I had xnview installed and for some reason when I was in windows explorer and double clicked anything in the right hand column window where you view the files for the selected directory it opened them in xnview. I didn't want that so got rid of xnview but now when I double anything to open a directory in the right column window it just comes up with the open with box asking me to choose a program to open the file. I tried to find and select windows explorer but it didn't do anything. Also tried in folder option to reset to default but still does it.

Anyone any ideas.

Cheers

birdface 09:31 08 May 09

Can you do a system restore to a time before you installed xnview.Remember you may loose some programs that you have installed since.

erkmatrix 12:52 08 May 09

Yeah I can't really do that as it was months ago when I installed xnview so I'd lose loads of things. Is there any setting I could reset to get it to open files again.

brundle 13:01 08 May 09

Open registry editor - start menu/run, type

regedit

press return

navigate to

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell

The data for the "Default" entry should read "None", is that true for your system?

erkmatrix 09:56 09 May 09

Hi

Mine says not set in my shell default, I double clicked it and put in none but it still doesn't open up the directories in windows explorer properly.

Any other ideas

erkmatrix 09:59 09 May 09

sorry thats (value not set) it said

birdface 10:03 09 May 09

Maybe a daft idea but would it work if you installed xnview again or would that only make matters worse.

erkmatrix 10:07 09 May 09

hey buteman, I'll give it a whirl, see what it does, worth a go.

erkmatrix 10:15 09 May 09

Yeah it hasn't really solved the problem but just allowed me to open when I double click a file in xnview but I do much prefer windows explorer still as I guess I'm just so used to that. I only wanted xnview to view my vector image files

birdface 10:27 09 May 09

Brundle is very good at fixing computers so you are in good hands with him.I suppose it was worth a try.I hope that you get it fixed.

erkmatrix 11:07 09 May 09

Cheers anyway buteman.

I've got rid of xnview again. restarted my PC. Have now noticed that in windows explorer that if I right click on a folder, I still see an option at the top to browse with xnview even though I uninstalled it, so it must still be controlling when I double click and coming up with open with cause the program isn't there anymore. I can open a folder directory though by right clicking and clicking open it then opens in explorer.

Anyone know how I can go it to tell my machine to go to open instead of trying to use the xnview still when I double click

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5