Windows Explorer Not Loading

dave.carden 18:11 27 May 08

Hi Guys

My laptop will not load windows explorer in normal or safe mond, i can get as far as the desktop image, but no icons or start menu appear.

But..... I am able to do a few basic tasks, eg load task manager, System Configuration, Registry Editor.

When looking at Processes on task manager, there are only a few processes which are listed:
S24EvMon.exe
lsass.exe
services.exe
winlogon.exe
csrss.exe
smss.exe
System
System Idle Process

Any help would be great!!
Thanks

Joe R 18:16 27 May 08

dave.carden,

have you tried a system restore?

Les28 18:53 27 May 08

You could try In Task Manager select the File menu and select New Task (Run), then type in Explorer and click OK.

dave.carden 20:18 27 May 08

hiya guys

thanks for your comments,
Both of these have not worked,

System Restore will not load, (not sure if I can use system restore another way)

and when typing in Explorer in the run box I get the error messeage
"Windows cannot find 'explorer'"

Any other ideas
thanks again

isca2 20:34 27 May 08

Do you mean Windows Explorer or Internet Explorer.
If you can get to the RUN command box, type in the following to see if you can get System Restore up and running..C:\WINDOWS\system32\Restore\rstrui.exe

Les28 22:18 27 May 08

Try task manager again type explorer.exe this time.

How long have you had this problem? Was your Anti-virus, firewall and anti-spyware up to date before this happened?

A couple of sites that might help

click here

explorer shell fix here
click here

What recovery or repair options have you got?

Les28 08:17 28 May 08

Have you tried running system restore from Task Manager, in Task Manager click File, New Task (Run), type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe then OK

If you have an XP installation disc, you could open a command window from task manager, File, New Task (Run), type cmd and OK. In the command window type sfc /scannow

You could try the one at the foot of the page here, a selective startup in msconfig.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…