Windows Explorer needs to close...

m800afc 14:48 05 Dec 08

Win XP pro, SP3
Some folders are not opening when I click on the icon. Instead a dialog box states:
"Windows Explorer needs to close now. Sorry for the inconvenience"
What causes this, and how can it be resolved?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:27 05 Dec 08

Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

m800afc 16:41 05 Dec 08

I ran sfc /scannow on Wednesday, to solve a different problem. I shouldn't need to do it again so soon?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:47 05 Dec 08

Eplorer is part of the operating system if you have explorer problems then you need to do a repair.

m800afc 08:03 08 Dec 08

I have run sfc /scannow for a second time. It completed normally, but did not resolve the problem.
I have also run, inependanly of each other:
AdAware
A Squared
Avg Anti Root Kit
Crap cleaner
Hijack This
Malwarebytes
Spybot S&D
SuperAntiSpyware.
None of the above reported any problems.
Short of a complete reinstall of XP, what should I try next?

birdface 09:16 08 Dec 08

Maybe a bit over the top with your security programs,maybe remove a few..You could try .My computer.Right click C Drive..Properties.Tools.Check Now.And tick both boxes.You will have to reboot and wait for about an hour till it finishes its checks.When finished you could go back and press disk clean up.And then defrag.It all takes time but worth a try.

m800afc 09:37 08 Dec 08

Perhaps over the top if they re all on the system drive and active. Mine are not on the system drive, but on a flash drive, and can be used independantly when required, as stated above. I will try "check Now" and report back.

m800afc 10:45 08 Dec 08

I have just run "Check Now" from C/properties/tools.
The utility completed normally and reported no errors.
The original error still persists. What should I try next?

daveeb 10:55 08 Dec 08

Have you installed the klite codec pack by any chance ? this may contain mpeg splitter.ax which has known issues with explorer. if so do a search on your hard drive and delete mpeg splitter. failing that you could try A43 (a free file browser). it looks a bit clunky but it will work when windows explorer throws its toys out of the pram.

sunnystaines 12:25 08 Dec 08

a corrupt flashplayer also gives this error. goto adobe.com unistall flashplayer using their own unistaller then reinstall from adobe.com

m800afc 17:01 08 Dec 08

I have just uninstalled Adobe Flash Player, using Adobe uninstaller, and it has not resolved the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…