Windows Explorer layout.

TonyV 16:23 26 Aug 08

On my display for Windows Explorer I have Folders in a panel on the LHS with the contents in a panel on the RHS. Headings of Name, Size, Type, Date Modified etc... How do I get the same layout to appear in say My Documents? At the moment, when I click on My Documents, I get a single pane up with all the details there. To get the layout I want I have to click the Folder option in the Tool bar. I would like that to open with the Left Hand and Right Hand panels as in Windows Explorer without having to go through the Folder click.

Thanks

TonyV

TonyV 16:28 26 Aug 08

Should have said, XP SP3.

TonyV

DieSse 18:03 26 Aug 08

Start Explorer

Open Tools - Folder Options - File Types

Look down the File Types list for Folder (near the top - note NOT File Folder) - Click the Advanced button.

In the Actions box, you should see explore. Click on it then click the Default button.

Then OK to exit and save.

Then try My Documents again, and you should get an "Explorer" view

DieSse 18:04 26 Aug 08

PS - I googled that to find it - it's a really nice trick, and I'm leaving mine that way as it seems much nicer to me too.

TonyV 19:04 26 Aug 08

Many thanks. That seems to have done the trick and My Docs opens as I want it. Brilliant!! Like you, I suppose I should have Googled it, but I always seem to get 101 items to browse through and then give up the ghost!!

Cheers

TonyV

woodchip 21:23 26 Aug 08

It will only work if you have as above some folders for the left hand side. As all you do is click view then folders

DieSse 22:07 26 Aug 08

?? - Don't understand

Sea Urchin 22:31 26 Aug 08

I would suggest click Tools > Folder Options > then check Show Common Tasks in Folders > Apply and OK

Technotiger 22:35 26 Aug 08

Hi, not the same thing/layout as above requirement.

Sea Urchin 22:42 26 Aug 08

Yes, you're correct of course

TonyV 00:12 27 Aug 08

Like DieSse says, I'm not sure I understand where you are coming from. The sloution works fine and replicates the same view I get within the Windows Explorer with out going through the "Folder" click procedure.

Cheers

TonyV

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…