Windows Explorer keeps crashing

wint 16:27 07 Oct 03

Using Windows XP home.

If I task Win Explorer (or My Computer which I think is pretty much the same thing) with anything more than a simple transfer from one folder to another, it crashes. The icons within explorer disappear, the desktop icons disappear and several seconds later the desktop comes back along with whichever programmes were open at the time.

I have tried to use system restore but all previous restore points had disappeared.

I *always* create a restore point prior to installing any software.

I wonder the two problems are linked?

Any suggestions?

JIM 17:32 07 Oct 03

When dealing with a similar problem over a period of time like you discribe, there was a message related to "explorer. exe, Application Error,Faulting module to ntdll.Dll

I ran the sfc /scannow with OS cd in, which appeared to cure it,or it may have been all the windows updates that i loaded at the time.

If you go to start, right click on my computer and click manage, and when management window opens up click on event viewer.Click on application and scroll down looking for the red X ERROR. Right click and then properties and have a look at the report.You SHOULD see the reason for the error at that time. You could do the same with all listed.

If you followed it up by clicking on the web link in the window (if on line at the same time) and selecting ok you may end up with this or similar below being sent back to you,depending on the error.

Product: Windows Operating System ID: 1000
Source: Application Error Version: 5.2

Symbolic Name: ER_USERCRASH_LOG

Message: Faulting application %1, version %2, faulting module %3, version %4, fault address 0x%5.

Explanation

The indicated program failed. The message contains details on which program and module failed. A matching event with Event ID 1001 might also appear in the event log. This matching event displays information about the specific error that occurred.

User Action

No user action is required.

+ Related Knowledge Base articles

Saying that trying to fathom it out,is time consumming if at all poss. :)

wint 17:44 07 Oct 03

I'll try your fix later, I have to go out right now. You are quite correct, the details you give are similar to mine.

Must say, the MS website says (to me) something along the lines "yes, it's broken, next".

Thanks, I'll report back.

wint 17:09 06 Nov 03

I never did write back to say thanks. I ran sfc /scannow and Explorer hasn't crashed since - or is that tempting fate??

Cheers.

JIM 17:48 06 Nov 03

Thank-you for feedback.

Hope all goes well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…