Windows explorer, I.e. explorer, Firefox closing

trialsriding 16:36 06 Dec 07

Hi guys, having some problems when using the above, when I try to open new windows (or folders in windows explorer) in any of the programs they sometimes randomly close after they've opened and I can't open them at all. Also happens if I click on links from messenger( also noticed that the links open in my current window instead of a new window like they used too?) I'm using I.e. 6 and version 2.0.0.11 of Firefox.

Any help much appreciated thanks!

brundle 18:20 06 Dec 07

Assuming Windows XP, check your hard-drive (HD click here),
system file check click here, full update and scan with antivirus, scan with a couple of antispyware products (click here)

trialsriding 18:37 06 Dec 07

Hi, yes using xp forgot that. How ironic, when I try to open the antispyware link the window closes. Also when I got to run sfc /scannow. Any ideas what might be wrong? Thanks again.

brundle 18:45 06 Dec 07

Sorry, not easy to download if the browsers crash eh...start in "safe mode with networking" (hit f8 repeatedly at boot up, before the XP logo appears) and try again. Direct link to superantispyware here;click here

You can put that link straight into the `run` box, the browser only needs to download it, no windows need opening.

The problem with scannow may just be a missing space between the two words, very important. It's best to run it from a command prompt (Start Menu/All Programs/Accessories/Command Prompt).
If it just refuses to work then that's a different matter.

trialsriding 10:52 07 Dec 07

Hi, after starting in safemode I managed to install an anti virus program found 2 trojan viruses and deleted the files so hopefully all good now.
However when I start windows there is a message box saying

C:\WINDOWS\System32\dlha\mstask32.com
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.

How can I get rid of the instruction? Or what is causing it? Also which anti virus program would you recommend? At the moment I have nod32 is there anything better that doesn't cost? Thanks

trialsriding 11:43 07 Dec 07

Sorted the illegal instruction was spyware :)

birdface 11:51 07 Dec 07

Not looking to good,Googledclick here= It may be better donwloading HJT from the Malware Forum and posting there.click here

birdface 11:56 07 Dec 07

Oops.Sorted.I should have checked before posting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…