Windows Explorer has stopped working

Bagpipes 16:13 PM 03 Jul 11

When my friend tries to open Documents on her Windows 7 Home Premium laptop the message "Windows Explorer has stopped working - checking for a solution to the problem" then "Windows Explorer ia restarting" but it doesn`t. Does any one know the solution please?

woodchip 16:36 PM 03 Jul 11

try doing a system restore from a old date when it worked, restore points are in bold

Bagpipes 08:05 AM 04 Jul 11

Thanks for the suggestion woodchip but it hasnt worked. Any more ideas will be most welcome. Thanks

birdface 09:02 AM 04 Jul 11

Look in task manager and make sure explorer.exe is on there.

birdface 09:17 AM 04 Jul 11

Some good advice on this.

Maybe go through them one at a time.

link text

Bagpipes 18:45 PM 04 Jul 11

Thanks for all the help. I have tried it all without success so will now try a full restore and hope it doesnt return

BurrWalnut 19:01 PM 04 Jul 11

The problem is sometimes caused by a third-party extension. ShellExView can be useful to see which shell extensions have been introduced into Explorer. Read about it then scroll down near to the bottom to download the x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version link text

When you run it, click on the column labelled Company to alphabetically sequence the entries. Let us assume that the Microsoft entries are bona fide and concentrate on the others. Is there anything else listed that is either unnecessary or unknown? If so, highlight it and click the red spot (top left) to disable it. You may find it easier to disable them all, then re-enable them (green spot) one at a time and open Explorer until the culprit is found.

woodchip 20:27 PM 04 Jul 11

Windows Explorer is a fundamental part of Windows, without it it will not run. so it is running but not how its supposed to. You may be better using a Operating System disc to do a repair of the OS

Bagpipes 08:38 AM 05 Jul 11

Thanks for the last two. Woodchip, i had thought of using a OS disc but my friend does not have one nor do i know of any one who does. Burrwalnut, sorry but the link does not work but i have tried disabling evey thing in System config utility/services except the microsoft stuff.

BurrWalnut 08:53 AM 05 Jul 11

It’s not the Services you should be disabling, but the add-ons provided by other manufacturers. I’ve had trouble posting URLs here since the switch over, I’ll try again link text

The address is

Bagpipes 18:31 PM 11 Jul 11

I have solve the problem!! I re-installed windows it seemed the quickest and easiest way in the end. Thanks for all the advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Cyber Monday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Cyber Monday tech deals, sales, discounts & offers

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Harry Potter's graphic designers showcase magical props & posters in new exhibition

Apple rumours & predictions 2016: What to expect from Apple in 2016