windows explorer has encountered a problem

Podsville 19:42 13 Jul 04

My sons 2 yr old Mesh running Win XP Home. After boot up and approx 2 mins a "send / dont send" error appears along with much disk activity. "Windows Explorer has encountered a prob. and needs to close". Error sig. says AppName:Explorer.exe ,Appver: 6.0.2600.0 ,Modname: ~6885858281.tmp. ,Modver:00003a6a Tech info says files included are, C:\documents\"my name"\Locals\Temp\Wer4.tmp.dir00\appcompat.txt
After I click "dont send" the desktop refreshes and the PC runs as normal!
Spybot reports nothing, Adaware reports nothing, SFC scannow fixed some other things but not this. I have done a search of this forum.
Anyone come accross this and any help much appreciated. It doesnt stop the PC from working fine but is just one of those "niggles"

VoG II 19:49 13 Jul 04

Open appcompat.txt in Notepad. See if you can identify the file (probably a .dll) that is causing the problem.

Podsville 20:02 13 Jul 04

Many thanks Vog, trouble is I failed to mention that the folder wer4.tmp.dir00\appcompat.txd cannot be found. Yes I have the folder where it should be on "view hidden" etc. Search doesnt find it either! Flippin mystery eh!

Podsville 18:36 14 Jul 04

Any more offers of help or ideas folks? I have done a search on Google and Askjeevs and the web is chocka block with same prob. but nobody seems to have an answer.

Cheers P

Podsville 15:31 16 Jul 04

As above
Any more offers of help or ideas folks? I have done a search on Google and Askjeevs and the web is chocka block with same prob. but nobody seems to have an answer.
Cheers P

GaT7 16:22 16 Jul 04

Are you sure you're searching for 'appcompat.txt' & not 'appcompat.txd' as you had in your Tue 13.07.04 20:02 post?

Podsville 19:04 16 Jul 04

Many thnks Crossbow,, will check next time puter is booted. He's busy playing on line at mo... (b****y kids eh!) LOL

Podsville 14:53 17 Jul 04

Many thanks Crossbow,I checked again after switch on this morning and it is deffinitely .txt

Search cant find it

I have a sneaking suspicion that its something like a macro running at start up and directing Explore to open something it cant. (Just a feeling)

GaT7 17:54 17 Jul 04

You may be right.

You've checked with Adaware & Spybot & come up with nothing.

I suggest you also run scans with CWShredder click here & at click here. Even if you've checked with your own AV, Run AV scans at BOTH Trendmicro click here & Panda click here.

Tell us if they come up with anything. G

GaT7 18:45 17 Jul 04

As a temporary workaround try disabling error reporting & see if it at least stops the error dialogue box from appearing - click here to learn more. G

Podsville 22:42 17 Jul 04

many thanks Crossbow, hope you dont mind but maybe I can leave it till tomorrow. Its late after a busy day and me knackered!!!!!
I will follow all your suggestions and post results.

Thanks again

Regards P

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…