Windows Explorer has encountered an error

LABMAN 19:35 12 May 07

Hi folks,

My PC has developed a fault I'm at a bit of a loss with.

When I try to access anything I get a warning box informing me that Windows Explorer has encountered an error and needs to close giving me the option to report the error to Microsoft or not, if choose to report it the system refreshes back to the desktop, if I say no it just freezes.

I've run AVG free, Adaware, Spybot SD, Spyware terminator and all come up clean all and any advice more than welocme.

System is an Athlon XP2400+, 1024MB ram, Nvidia GeForce FX5200 and Windows XP home.

SANTOS7 19:41 12 May 07

click here=

As the error message is non-specific you may need to choose one of these,good luck..

LABMAN 20:04 12 May 07

Hi SANTOS7,

tried a few of the links but nothing seems to compare to mine but I have run sfc.exe /scannow and it's asking for me to insert my "Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD now" but I'm running XP home and it just comes up thje wrong disc inserted same happens when I try my SP2 disc, I even have a copy of an XP Professional disc but that gives the same message to.

VoG II 20:06 12 May 07
  LABMAN 21:01 12 May 07

Hello VoG,

I'd love to be able to attempt the fix that your link points to nut I'm afraid I cant open anything long enough to look for the files to start modifying them.

I can sit on the desk top all day with no problem, I can open programmes such as my spyare and adaware that are stored in folders on the desk top I can even open my computer, sometimes when my computer opens I get the message but usually it's when I try to access one of my hard drives it comes up so as you see I can't get on long enough to go into the windows folder.

VoG II 21:08 12 May 07

In that case I would try a repair click here

woodchip 21:20 12 May 07

When it asks for the Pro disc just keep pressing enter it will still work but you may have a sore finger before it's done

woodchip 21:28 12 May 07

From MS site
Method 2: Modify the registry to point to the Windows XP SP2 Setup files
Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.
1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
2. Locate the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup
3. In the right pane, right-click ServicePackSourcePath, click Modify, type %windir%\ServicePackFiles, and then click OK.

jarani 21:36 12 May 07

I get this problem from time to time - I find when I close down and reboot the problem goes away but returns about once a week to ten days later - it is always short lived and I have not attempted to rectify it - jarani

LABMAN 23:27 12 May 07

Many thanks to you all for your input, woodchips advice posted at 21:20 provided the soloution.

When it asked for a Windows disc (it does eventually change to XP home)I just kept clicking the retry button, it was slow and Laborious and in the words of John Lennon " I've got blisters on my fingers" but we got there in the end.

This site is a godsend and the all the members and the people behind the scenes who make it possible deserve a medal for the time they take and the help they so freely give out, thanks once again to you all.

Peter

woodchip 23:34 12 May 07

Glad to see it worked. That MS for you

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…