Windows Explorer has ecountered a problem.......

woofwoofbark 02:19 10 Jan 07

.... needs to close.We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Suddenly Windows Explorer crashes when i try to open the My Computer folder , I cant access and of my folders/files. I have tried system restore but when the comp rebooted an error message says restoration was incomplete , i tried turning of system restore and rebooted and every thing in system restore has vanished and not system restore wont run , i tried starting it through services but get an error message saying error5: acces denied.

there is an error report for Windows Explorer that reads...
Error Signature:
AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180
ModVer: 1.0.1.3. Offset: 0002225f

to view technical information about the error report click here.....

there is to much to copy n paste but at the bottom of the report it reads...

The following reports will be included in this report: C:DOCUME~1\GEOG~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\1400_appcompat.txt

how do i go about fixing the windows explorer crashes and to get system restore working again?

Its very late , after 2am ,...

If anyone can help/advice i'd be really greatfull

NotSoTechnical

rawprawn 08:34 10 Jan 07

Try a system file scan, go to Start/Run/type sfc /scannow (Watch the space between sfc and /) hit enter. You will need your XP CD

Ho-Lin-Sok 09:50 10 Jan 07

When you turn off system restore then it all goes, this is normal,just turn it back on when you have sorted your problem. The scan as suggested by rawprawn is a good place to start.

Wak 12:05 10 Jan 07

Windows Explorer is a part of Internet Explorer so maybe you could try repairing Internet Explorer?? click here.

woofwoofbark 15:37 10 Jan 07

unfortunately the sfc /scannow didnt change anything , I followed click here to reinstall System restore but no joy either.

I try to enable system restore through services but it wont start with the error 5: access is denied , I tried safe mode which asks me to logon as administrator or my account , ive tried both but keep getting the error 5 when trying to start system restore.

as for fixing IE , im on IE7 the link Wak gave only gives a repair for IE6 , will those instruction work with IE7 or should I uninstall 7 then reinstall ?

any further help/advice will be appreciated

NotSoTechnical

Ho-Lin-Sok 15:45 10 Jan 07

Could try a registry cleanup, this is fully reversable but is usually safe.
click here

recap 15:58 10 Jan 07

error 5 is a permissions issue.

If you have changed the Admin username or password since first setting up your system, try using the original username or password.

woofwoofbark 16:10 10 Jan 07

Ho-Lin-Sok , i already have registry mechanic ran it without joy.

recap I havnt changed any passwords since i installed winXP HE

I was thinking of doing a repair install , would this fix the problems ? plus I have an Genuine OEM disk with the XP code. what changes to my system will there be if i try a repair install ?

NotSoTechnical

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:09 10 Jan 07

Alternate fix to repair Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x for Windows XP:

Note: Before proceeding, ensure that your Microsoft Windows XP CD-ROM is available.
1. From the Start menu, select Search, and choose Files or Folders.
2. Click the More Advanced Options item and ensure that there is a checkmark beside the Search hidden files and folder option.
3. In the Name field, type ie.inf
4. In the Look in drop-down menu, click C: or the letter of the hard drive that contains the Windows folder.
5. Click the Search Now button. The correct ie.inf file should be located in the Windows\Inf folder.
6. Right click the ie.inf file and choose Install from the drop-down menu that appears.
7. Restart the computer when the computer finishes copying files.

Kalb 18:22 10 Jan 07

NotSoT
I had a similar problem which bugged me for a while which disappeared when I downloaded the Windows updates...how up to date are your WinXP downloads ?..recent (i.e. since Oct/06) ones have included IE security updates such as KB929969 & KB904942 which i have managed to identify by running Belarc on my PC. There maybe a few more. Beats a re-install !! Good luck

woofwoofbark 19:17 10 Jan 07

Kalb...

I checked belarc and it said there was one that I had to reinstall , which i did , restarted my comp and then entered My Computer but unfortunately Windows Explorer crashed again but that was followed by something called DR.Watson ( something similar to that name anyway) appearing and the comp froze on me , I had to restart manually.

Maybe a repair install is whats needed unless there are other suggestions ?

Fruit Bat /\0/
I have Internet Explorer 7 will those instructions work with that as your suggestion is for IE6.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…