Windows Explorer Error.

Gordon Comstock 14:42 28 May 04

Windows Explorer was refusing to open on my P.C.

Every time I clicked My Computer I got an error message saying explorer.exe will now close followed by a Kernel32.exe error.

I could still access my hard drive within programs and Internet Explorer still worked.

No folder windows would open though.

I found a solution on the internet - in advanced internet options, untick 'enable third-party browser extensions' and reboot.

Everything worked again but of course I'd lost my rather useful Google toolbar in IE.

My question is: Why did this happen? Everything was working fine before. Why does unticking a trivial option in IE effect such a major thing in Windows Explorer?

Old Shep 15:45 28 May 04

You may be infected by a worm/virus causing this click here. From Microsoft - Kernel32.exe is the worm process that resides on the client computer, and Kernel32.exe is not a Microsoft file.

woodchip 15:54 28 May 04

Google modified the Explorer, interfering with windows setup files. You could try if Win98se Start\Run with 98 cd in comp in run box type SFC and run the program. If XP Start\Run

SFC /SCANNOW with XP disc in comp not restore disc

Gordon Comstock 20:26 28 May 04

Kernel32.dll is a legit Windows process isn't it?

I can't find any viruses on my PC.

The Google Toolbar has been in IE for months.

I just can't understand why the lack of access to Windows Folders started happening today.

Old Shep 21:19 28 May 04

Yes Kernel32.dll is a legit windows porocess but in your thread you said it was Kernel32.exe.causing the problem, which is a virus.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…