windows explorer encounters a problem&needs2close?

theDarkness 15:58 23 Oct 06

sometimes when I click on windows to change what im looking at, or when im copying files from one place to another whilst looking around xp, I get the message "windows explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. sorry for the inconvenience"!??

the problem seems to like with "modname: kernel32.dll" in explorer.exe, ver 5.1...
anyone know how I can solve it- could it be memory/ram based with too much in use, or is it strictly just a windows explorer problem? any info would b good :) thanks

Waulkman 16:48 23 Oct 06

I have the same problem except that mine is almost always with Internet Explorer and the cause is usually mshtml.dll. I've tried replacing this dll with a more up to date version without success. The problem recurs every time I fire up IE and the only solution is to reboot. Then I can usually count on a couple of days before the problem occurs again. I also would appreciate any help. Thanks

anskyber 17:04 23 Oct 06

Which version of IE are you on?

Waulkman 17:42 23 Oct 06

IE 6.0 and I'm running XP SP2.

theDarkness 17:44 23 Oct 06

I get the message sometimes when looking at folders and when the internet with my Mozilla browser is either being swapped between or running or in the background. its really hard to tell what could be causing it, especially when its something as general as the kernel :O im trying to think as to whether I have updated windows (xp home) over the net recently or not.

I think the problem in my case could well be to do with using the occassional registry cleaning application, sometimes they detect and/or delete what they shouldnt, even when they state the object as 'safe' to get rid of. I cant be 100% sure though!

theDarkness 17:45 23 Oct 06

I have SP2 installed also

anskyber 17:47 23 Oct 06

As you can see from here its an out of date issue and a reinstall is recommended. click here Apologies to theDarkness for the hijack of this thread.

anskyber 17:48 23 Oct 06

Which version are you using/

anskyber 17:49 23 Oct 06

Oh and which OS are you on, is it ME?

Waulkman 18:03 23 Oct 06

Checked the link and I already have version 6.0.2900 which came with IE SP1 (part of XP SP1). I checked the mshtml.dlls and they are all version 2900 as well.

theDarkness 18:10 23 Oct 06

I have XP Home 2002. SP2 came as part of the CD install disc so was installed along with XP. I think my XP explorer is 5.01, from 2001 (the "help>about windows" option). I have Internet Explorer 7 installed, but I never use it for the internet, I usually stick with Firefox/Mozilla which is version 1.5.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017