Windows Explorer disappear from menu - Challenge!

TomSwift 04:14 16 Nov 03

In Win XP I have always accessed Windows Explorer by left clocking while pointing to the start button - and it launched nicely.
Sometime in the last few weeks it "fell" off the menu! I have done a couple system restores and they do not change it - anyone know how to get it back without a complete reload of Windows?

critic-al 10:29 16 Nov 03

Try right click on start/properties/make sure the dot is in "start menu" then click "customize" and increase the number of programes,by say about 3 or 4. and see if it returns.

critic-al 10:32 16 Nov 03

or if that fails, go to start/all programes/accesories/Right click on windows explorer/And select "Pin to start menue"

TomSwift 16:36 16 Nov 03

I am set up with a left hand mouse, so to make it clearer (instead of trying to translate) I will reset to right hand nouse and redescribe the problem:

When I go to the "start" button (Win XP Pro) the right click menu has reduced to four items only: "Scan with Norton Antivirus", Properties", "Open all users", and "Explore all users". I no longer have the option to "Explore" and use Windows Explorer to view my drives from this menu.

I can launch it from a shortcut or the command line. How do I get it back on the menu?

TomSwift 16:37 16 Nov 03

I have tried your suggestions, they do not affect this part of the menuing. I have used classic display, etc also with no effect.

DieSse 16:42 16 Nov 03

AS an easy workround - you can put it in the start menu - then you don't even have to right (left!) click.

hugh-265156 16:50 16 Nov 03

you have two threads going on this too

TomSwift 02:02 17 Nov 03

I tried uninstalling tweak UI in case it was the culprit, but if it was, the menu did not reset to its former glory afterward.

I know I can add it to the actual start program menu, but the hover - click twice is much faster and convenient for me. I would prefer to do it than the workaround suggested by DieSSE (Although I am thankful for the suggestion)

Still looking fro the super uber-geek with the real answer! ;-)

DieSse 02:31 17 Nov 03
  DieSse 02:33 17 Nov 03

click here

TomSwift 07:11 17 Nov 03

Thanks for the work!
The first link indicates tweakui could cause the issue, and checking all drve boxes should fix it -

I already have them all checked, so this is not the answer.

The second link you provided sounded like it should work, but the key they refer to:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT -> Directory -> Shell
does not exist in my XP Pro registry.

So near yet so far!!

Please continue helping - I think we are near!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…