Windows Explorer & "Details not showing"

TonyV 18:59 21 Mar 04

I have noticed this evening that on lighting up Windows Explorer in WIN 98SE, in the RH Pane there are no details shown. I can get the details in "My Computer", "Printers", "Control Panel", but on "C" and the subsequent folders I cannot get the details to show. It will show Large Icons, Small Icons, and List but not the Details. Any one got any ideas how to correct the problem? I always have mine set up to show Details.

TonyV 19:30 21 Mar 04

I had a brain wave. I have imported a recent copy (10/03/2004) of my Registry and low and behold, everything is now back to normal! It obviously pays to keep a recent copy of your Registry available in case of such happenings.

GaT7 20:22 21 Mar 04

Strange problem you had there, good thinking & glad it's sorted.

If you have ScanRegistry run at startup (which it does at default in Win98se) it automatically saves upto 5 recent backups of your Registry in C:\Windows\Sysbckup. So, if you have this run at startup you don't have to remember to manually backup your Registry every once in a while.

TonyV 21:00 21 Mar 04

Crossbow7. Good idea. I will look out for that in future. As you say, it saves the fag of remembering to manually backup your-self.

TonyV 21:09 21 Mar 04

Crossbow7, I've just had a look in C:\Windows\Sysbckup, and can see some ZIP files that cover a number of files. I take it the ones to use are User.dat and System.dat. The ZIP file are rb000 to rb005 with one other that is rbbad. The only trouble is, how to get them in to the registery? Any ideas?

GaT7 21:25 21 Mar 04

Yes, exactly they are the 'zip' files (more accurately .cab files) named rb000 to rb005 that are the compressed backups of your Registry. You can restore these backups in MS-Dos by typing Scanreg at the command prompt (c:\), pressing Enter & following the onscreen instructions to restore whichever one of the five you require - they'll display with their dates of backup. You can try it out for yourself to see that it really works!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…