Windows explorer crashing between folders

The Belarussian Mafia 21:49 14 May 05

Brand new Win XP PC. When jumping between folders on the hard drive I'm getting the message: "Windows has encountered a problem", and the system freezes. I then have to do ctrl-alt-del to stop the folder trying to open itself. Seems to be happening about 30% of the time.

I've been using Win 98 till now, and nothing this stupid ever happened...

VoG II 22:01 14 May 05

Start, Run, type

sfc /scannow

and click OK.

The Belarussian Mafia 22:08 14 May 05

VoG™ Thanks mate. Could you just explain what this does. (Is it the equivalent of ScanDisk from Win 98? I was wondering why I couldn't find that on Win XP.)

I just need to get all the info before taking your advice, as I currently have to run between the two PCs, with my one and only monitor in tow!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:25 14 May 05

SFC is system file checker witth scan files and replace missing or corrupt sytem IE and OE files thus repairing your operating system.

My computer - right click drive -select properties - tool tab - error check is the equivalnt of scan disk

woodchip 22:33 14 May 05

But you may need a XP disc to run it. You could also try click here
As IE is tied to Win Explorer

VoG II 08:45 15 May 05
  The Belarussian Mafia 01:26 24 May 05

Thanks guys, especially VoG™. This sorted it. I suspect I may have corrupted some files by running my old Norton WinDoctor 2002 on my XP SP2 operating system.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…