Windows Explorer crashes trying to open a particular folder

polymath 21:57 18 Oct 11

Only a little problem, but it feels disproportionately annoying! Details of system, error etc below (too many probably, but might save some questions).

My day-to-day computer's a small laptop, with a desktop for the more demanding stuff (hardware details below). I download photos from the camera via the laptop to a USB stick, view them there & delete unwanted ones, then copy them into the destop (leaving them stored on the USB stick for convenience & extra backup). In the USB stick, all my digital photos so far (only a year's worth, I hasten to add!) live in the same folder.

No problems until last week when I got back from a holiday and downloaded some photos to the USB stick as usual. Since then, when I try to open its photo folder with Explorer as usual, I get a perpetual hourglass, with nothing changing on the screen. The screen blanches (excuse non-technical word) when I press X to close the window, and pressing it again gets 'Windows Explorer is not responding'. The error box says I can search for a solution online, but doesn't say how, or give a link. The only respectable way out is to select 'close the program'. I can view the folder's properties as usual.

Explorer can open the USB drive, and the other folders in it, including the subfolders of the problem one (via their names when the folder's expanded in the Explorer frame on the left).
The problem (so far) is only with Explorer (I can open the folder, view the thumbnails & so on, with Irfanview). And only with the particular folder, only in the USB stick, and only when it's plugged into the laptop (no problem in the desktop). I wondered if it was a Windows memory thing, but Explorer happily opens larger folders.
The only thing I can think of that's altered recently is a change of camera card, between not having the problem and having it. It's the first time I've changed one, and I'm not sure at what point cards get too full for comfort, or what warning there is (if any). Card no.1 was about 9o% full according to the chart in the camera manual, and it just felt safest to start another one. The problem appeared when I'd just downloaded the remaining new photos from card no.1, followed by those on no.2 (the camera carried on the numbering where it left off; normal, I believe?).

Any ideas? Have to log off now till the morning.

Error details;

Product Windows Explorer

Problem Stopped responding and was closed

Date 15/10/2011 20:45

Status Not Reported

Description A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature Problem Event Name: AppHangB1 Application Name: explorer.exe Application Version: 6.0.6002.18005 Application Timestamp: 49e01da5 Hang Signature: 2cb4 Hang Type: 0 OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3 Locale ID: 2057 Additional Hang Signature 1: 31c8163321ffe2c8a9a58017cb382af2 Additional Hang Signature 2: 1e19 Additional Hang Signature 3: 5fe69e6c3227cf97bf6223f804c2ba7b Additional Hang Signature 4: 2cb4 Additional Hang Signature 5: 31c8163321ffe2c8a9a58017cb382af2 Additional Hang Signature 6: 1e19 Additional Hang Signature 7: 5fe69e6c3227cf97bf6223f804c2ba7b

Computers; Laptop; Packard Bell Easynote BUA-45, 2GB RAM, 160GB H/D, Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 processor, Vista Home Premium SP2 (updated regularly), Internet Explorer 9 (just as it came apart from Windows updates, as I normally use Firefox). Desktop; Packard Bell Ixtreme x2711; as laptop except 320GB H/D, Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 processor.

Camera; Panasonic Lumix TZ8. 2 memory cards used so far, currently 8GB SanDisk Extreme SDHC UHS-1, previously ditto except 4GB & without the 'UHS-1'. Photos were first downloaded with the USB cable supplied with the camera, now via a USB card reader (Integral hi-speed SDHC-compatible).
USB memory stick is Integral 16GB.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:13 18 Oct 11

Usually due to a corrupt file in the folder

Have you still got those pictures in the camera? if so delete the folder and start again.

polymath 21:37 20 Oct 11

Thanks Fruit Bat. I had wondered if something in the USB stick had got corrupted. But thought it seemed less likely when Explorer in the other computer can open the USB folder, and Windows there can also copy the photos from it to its hard disk?

Today I tried putting the USB stick in the desktop & opening some photos from their folder in the USB stick (the most recent ones, including about the last 20 from card no. 1). No problem there (and the whole lot of photos display proper thumbnails).

I also checked the USB stick for errors, via its properties (in both computers) with no problems found. (I don't know if that checks all the files in it?)

Yes, if no other possible cause comes to light soon, I will delete the folder & start again (all the photos are still in the camera cards and in the desktop). It just that the problem seems a bit weird!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…