Windows Explorer Crashes.

X™ 11:36 24 Nov 07

Hi, just recently, my Windows explorer crashes randomly. If I open say My Documents and My Computer, I can click on say the C:\ drive, but it instalty crashes. If more then one explorer window is open, you cannot do anything otherwise it crashes. If more then one is open and you try to close one, it crashes. It is very irritating.

Any thoughts?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:38 24 Nov 07

Auto-reboot disable:
When Running windows and it crashes you will get a blue screen and it will automatically restart, often it will restart too fast for you to see the error message.
To disable auto restart on system failure, so you can see the error message.

1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System (Windows+Pause works, too)
2. Go to Advanced
3. Under the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings...
4. Under System Failure un-check "Automatically restart"

X™ 11:42 24 Nov 07

Thanks, but it's explorer, not Windows.

X™ 12:08 24 Nov 07

It displays the Windows Explorer has hadto be shut down thing, Send Error Report or Don't send thing, ya' know.

SANTOS7 12:12 24 Nov 07

1.click the Start button at the bottom left of your screen
2.click the Control Panel menu item
3.then double-click the System icon.
4.Click the Advanced tab
5.Find the item marked Performance right under there is a button that says Settings.
6.Click the Data Execution Prevention tab.
7.You'll see two options in that window click the second option that says "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select."
8. when you are finished with that then click the 'add...' button it should be visable at the bottom of the box. then you have to find where the file 'explorer.exe' resides on your computer most of the time it's something like this c:\windows\explorer.exe anyway add explorer to that list. It'll give you a warning just ignore it and click ok. Then reboot, might work,good luck...

X™ 17:41 24 Nov 07

Have done that SANTOS7, thanks. Dosn't work.... :(

SANTOS7 17:46 24 Nov 07

May help

click here

there are registry fixes involved in this, if you do try them BACKUP regisrty first just to be on safe side...

X™ 17:49 24 Nov 07

Meh, I'm not afraid of the registry, I'll give it a shot. Thanks Santos.

X™ 17:59 24 Nov 07

4. Locate, and then click the following subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Hmm, I don't have that. I made it and did what it said, but has made no difference. :(

SANTOS7 18:41 24 Nov 07

click here

long shot,could be related to this...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…