Windows Explorer crashes

ria 16:11 23 Apr 06

Could someone give me an idea what I can do about my Computer apart from reformatting the hard drive. I think something might have hijacked it. The Computer has gotten extremely slow and Windows Explorer regularly crashes. Some of the Icons disappear in the taskbar after a crash and I am not sure if my Anti Virus Program is still running. After sending the error report to Microsoft and following the link for possible solutions I am told to check for viruses. I have done this several times. I have Norton Internet Security 2005 and Windows Defender (which I have set up to automated updates) running. I also scanned my Computer with Ad-Aware, Spybot-Search & Destroy and SpywareBlaster and I send my log file twice to the HijackThis website, but didn’t get a reply.
One other thing is also wrong; but I think this might be something else. I get lots of strange e-mail retuned to me, I haven’t even sent, saying that they couldn’t be delivered for various reasons. I would be grateful for any tips how I can solve this.

VoG II 16:37 23 Apr 06

Try one or more on-line virus scanners:

BitDefender Free Online Virus Scan
click here
Make sure you tick AutoClean under Scan Options.

Panda ActiveScan
click here
Make sure you tick Disinfect automatically under Scan Options.

Housecall at TrendMicro
click here
Make sure you tick Auto Clean.

eTrust Antivirus Web Scanner
click here

Download Ewido Anti-Malware trial version click here

When installing, under 'Additional Options' untick 'Install background guard' and 'Install scan via context menu'.

Launch Ewido by double clicking the icon on your desktop. The program will now go to the main screen. You will need to update Ewido to the latest definition files. On the left hand side of the main screen click update then click on Start Update.

Then select 'Settings'. Under the bottom section 'What to Scan?' make sure 'Scan every file' is ticked. Select 'OK' and you will return to scanning options. Click on Complete System Scan and the scan will begin. This scan can take quite a while to run.

While the scan is in progress, you will be prompted to clean the first infected file it finds. Choose 'Clean' (or 'Delete' if 'Clean' is not an option). Then put a tick next to 'Perform action on all infections'. Doing this enables the scan to proceed automatically until its completion. Click OK.

remind 16:39 23 Apr 06

You've done most of things anyone on this forum would suggest.
You could also try a2 or Ewido to scan for problems
click here

The email issue seems to be affecting a lot of people lately, some new spam-sending variety around at the moment - may not be your system.

Something else to try is a system file check. Start Menu/Run, type
sfc /scannow

Have your XP CD handy.

Does your PC work more reliably if you run in Safe Mode? Hit F8 repeatedly on booting or hold down CTRL for the boot menu.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…