Windows Explorer constantly refreshes.

Actor One 17:26 05 Apr 04

When using Windows explorer (not often as I usually use Powerdesk 4 Pro)the panes constantly refresh - icons changing to folders etc. about every 1 - 2 seconds, desk top icons also blink at the the same rate.

Any suggestions?.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer eveshamvale
System Model System Name
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 6 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~1599 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Award Software, Inc. ASUS A7V333 ACPI BIOS Revision 1005, 14/03/2002
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\System32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)"
Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 174.23 MB
Total Virtual Memory 1.72 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.15 GB
Page File Space 1.22 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

GaT7 17:54 05 Apr 04

Might this be helpful click here ?

anon1 18:48 05 Apr 04

I had a similar thing when I installed some photo software ( cant recall the name) but it left me with a folder called "Image Folder" which is apparentley a system folder (cant delete it from within windows).

Actor One 20:08 14 Apr 04

Sorry I haven`t got back to you sooner, been away for easter, Yes the link does look like my problem, but where do I find the page with the Critical Update concerned?. Microsoft don`t make them easy to find.

GaT7 21:18 14 Apr 04

Before downloading/applying the update consider this:

"This flickering may also occur if misconfigured antivirus software is installed on either the workstation or the file server. There are some issues with certain antivirus software if the options to do heuristic scans or real-time scanning on a network share are enabled. You may have to disable ScanNetwork realtime option in the configuration options of the antivirus software installed on the client or file server." (from the earlier link)

Also, as it may have gotten corrupted it may be better to remove/uninstall the 810565 update (if you can) & then try to reinstall it through Win update - click here

Update 810565 - click here. After applying the update there's the job of adding the new registry key (refer to earlier link).

Good luck, G

Actor One 20:10 16 Apr 04

Thanks Crossbow7 will give it a go, though I hate registry edits....(:-(

GaT7 21:14 16 Apr 04

Remove it in Add/remove programs FIRST if you can & reinstall thro' Win update. This way you won't have to do any registry edits.

Actor One 20:56 30 Apr 04

Sorry to be late in responding to everyone - but nothing from the above advice works & the Knowledgbase article only pertains to the left pane, mine is both panes & the desktop icons rendering windows explorer useless.

However - a clue perhaps, if I use the open command rather than explore, it doesn`t refresh...(:?

GaT7 21:15 30 Apr 04

Go to: click here. Scroll down to 157 - 'Prevent Automatic Folder and Icon Refresh' & click on the line to d'load/install it. Reboot to see if the problem recurs.

Actor One 22:04 30 Apr 04

Thanks Crossbow 7 - didn`t work though....(:-(

GaT7 22:35 30 Apr 04

Have you scanned/checked for a possible ad/spyware/scum/virus causing these symptoms? You do have updated Adaware/Spybot & antivirus sw installed, don't you? For ONLINE checks you could try these - click here for a ad/spyware scan, & this - click here or click here for a virus scan.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…