Windows explorer closes when I right click a file

piker1 20:09 11 Jul 04

If I try to access a file or folder in Windows Exploere by right clicking or highlighting and pressing file, I get the message stating Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and will close. The option to send the info to Microsoft appears. Regardless of wether I send or dont send the info to Microsoft, Windows Explorer closes. I can howevere right click a Hard Drive and gain access to the full drop down menu, its the individual files and folders that have the problem. I use XP home.

VoG II 20:16 11 Jul 04

Start, Run, type

sfc /scannow

and click OK. You may be asked for your Windows CD.

piker1 21:34 11 Jul 04

VoG
Thanks for the response, however i've given that a go and still the same. For info my machine is a Mesh and the response from them is to call their help line at £1 per minute!!! I dont think so!

Dan the Confused 01:40 12 Jul 04

Try using RegScrubXP to clean your system, especially the registry cleaner. click here

piker1 21:50 14 Jul 04

The file at fault is 'shell32.dll' which I believe is directly involved with the drop down files I cannot access. Despite an e-mail to Mesh 2 days ago I have yet to have a response, not to worry as I called them and habe got all the info I need to put a fresh install of XP on my machine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…