Windows Explorer Autoruns with Windows

Pesala 19:52 05 Jul 04

It is not in the startup folder, but if I don't close it before I shut down Windows, it restarts automatically next time I start my PC. It never used to do this, but I recently reinstalled Windows ME.

Anyone know how to stop it doing this?

Diodorus Siculus 19:56 05 Jul 04

Any mention of it in MSCONFIG? If so, untick the relevant line.

Pesala 20:04 05 Jul 04

Not in Win.ini either both load= and run= are empty.

Pesala 20:16 05 Jul 04

Closed Windows Explorer, rebooted, no problem. Windows opened as usual.

Opened Windows Explorer at C:\My Pictures\ resized to right corner of desktop. Restarted Windows. Windows Explorer opened at C:\My Pictures\ in the same position as before I rebooted.

Not a huge problem, but just another few seconds on my startup time that I don't need. It takes quite long enough already. Not too much showing in msconfig, startup - 25 items.

THE TERMINATOR 21:17 05 Jul 04

what os and what programs do you have starting at startup?

VoG II 21:25 05 Jul 04

TT - it is ME

Pesala - I believe that this is down to a registry entry. Not much help I know but it may give you a clue. The following link is XP but gives the solution to a similar "problem" click here

THE TERMINATOR 21:31 05 Jul 04

start,run,type regedit,to start the registry editor, follow these directions to the letter,goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet, click on Control, double click on WaitToKillService(Timeout) and change the data value to 40, click on OK and exit registry editor....TT

THE TERMINATOR 21:36 05 Jul 04

Hi VoG™ sorry pal I missed that....TT

THE TERMINATOR 21:38 05 Jul 04

changing the data value to 40 will give you a faster shutdown too and hopefully solve your problem....TT

Pesala 21:53 05 Jul 04

Startup is about 1 min 50 seconds in Windows ME. Recently applied the latest critical updates, though no reason to suspect this would cause the current problem.

While looking at the IE advanced options for something that might cause this, I noticed that the text was missing on the first item under browsing, and the first item under security. Very odd. click here

Probably a red-herring too, but curious nonetheless.

THE TERMINATOR 22:36 05 Jul 04

Have you tried a system restore?...TT

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…