windows explorer

nobbie 15:58 19 Nov 03

Hi all, for some reason i cannot open anything with windows explorer,each time i try i just get the message- "windows explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close",-"do you wish to send an error report" which i have, but not sure what for, anyway does anyone have any ideas as i have not installed any new software/programs, it just stopped working.
thanks

nobbie 15:59 19 Nov 03

i'm using win XP pro - service pack 1

johnnyrocker 16:30 19 Nov 03

after a time the error report will suggest more info here click the link and see what microsoft come up with

johnny.

alcudia 16:30 19 Nov 03

Don't have an answer, but until you can solve it try this click here much better anyway

nobbie 17:00 19 Nov 03

is there any other way that i can open control panel, so that i can use my restore point, if i try it as normal then i get the same error message

VoG II 17:03 19 Nov 03

Go to Start, Run, type in

c:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

and click OK.

alcudia 17:05 19 Nov 03

You don't need control panel.

Start\All progerams\Accessories\System Tools\System restore.

Sounds like you have a bigger problem than just explorer though. Can you give us some more info if restore doesn't work.

nobbie 17:36 19 Nov 03

i have restored my computer TWICE, but i'm still getting the same problem, unfortunately, haven't got a clue what the technical information means, just found out that this is also happening in paint shop pro. in the tech info it is including the address -C:/DOCUME~1\paul\LOCALS~1\TEMP\WER8.tmp.dir00\appcompat.txt but haven't a clue what it means

nobbie 20:04 19 Nov 03

it is now happening in internet explorer,
i have scanned my computer for viruses and it came up "no virus found" hhheeelllppp!!!

VoG II 21:47 19 Nov 03

Try a repair of XP:

Boot from the CD

Let the Setup go through the first part of the Installation procedure.

When you come to the screen in which it says "Welcome to Setup." press Enter to Setup Windows XP.

Press F8 to agree to the End User License.

Let the Setup search your system for previous versions of Windows.

When the Setup is finished searching your system, select your Windows XP Installation and press the R key on your keyboard to start the Repair Procedure.

Setup will delete all major system files and then replace them with new copies.

You will have to download all of the updates from Microsoft Windows Update again because it replaces the files.

nobbie 15:34 20 Nov 03

"sort of" reinstalled XP as VoG suggested, and it seemed to have totally done a clean install,but it looks like it has done the trick, without the loss "too much" of any programs/files, so thanks all for your help (and fingers crossed):-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…